Johnson-Duramax Stuffing Boxes Make Packing Changes Easier
line of maintenance-reducing stuffing boxes is now available from The Johnson Rubber Company's Duramax Marine Division. In addition to making packing changes easier, several of the company's, heavy duty stuffing boxes are specifically designed to cut the need for drydocking.
Three of the popular types of stuffing boxes feature the exclusive Duramax inflatable "Air Seal" rubber ring which, when inflated, seals itself around the shaft sealing out water when a packing change is required. Packing can be changed even while in the water, eliminating the need for drydocking. When the repacking is complete, the inflated seal is deflated. At this point, the rubber ring automatically retracts clear of the shaft.
The company offers a broad line of stuffing boxes for many marine applications. For service at forward stern tube locations, stuffing boxes with shaft sizes ranging from 2% inches to 15 inches provide water/ grease lubrication, grease lubrication or water lubrication. Made of cast naval bronze, Duramax stuffing boxes are engineered for extra strength at critical stress points and are precision machined with female recess for mating with Duramax water lubricated flanged type bearings.
Stuffing boxes with machined male pilot for use with the Duramax water-lubricated demountable rubber stave bearings are also available.
Split type stuffing boxes, as well as boxes of cast aluminum or mild steel are also available in certain models and sizes.
Bulkhead or rudder stuffing boxes ranging in shaft sizes 2% to 7% inches are offered in bronze and can be supplied with integral steel flanges for bulkhead welding. Also offered in the line are a series of bronze stuffing boxes and stern castings for shaft sizes ranging from 1 inch to 6 inches, featuring rugged construction with thick mounting flange and thick ribs for better shaft support.
For further information and a free 12-page brochure from The Johnson Rubber Company, Duramax Marine Division, Circle 54 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from August 15, 1985 issue
- Navy Announces Homeport Sites In Gulf Coast Area page: 5
- Hunt Associates And Gladding-Hearn Collaborate On Pilot Boat Design page: 6
- Johnson-Duramax Stuffing Boxes Make Packing Changes Easier page: 6
- Versatile FPSO Manifold System Eliminates Fluid Swivels page: 7
- Consolidation Of Chevron And Gulf Fleets Announced page: 7
- Murdock Engineering Introduces New Tension System Design page: 7
- Jeffboat Delivers River Towboat M/V Cletus To Luhr Brothers page: 8
- Reagan Nominates Navy's First Space And Warfare Systems Commander page: 8
- Total Transportation Systems Acquires Kenmark page: 8
- New Navigation System From Odin Electronics page: 8
- Free Brochure On Piston And Plunger Pumps From Cat Pumps page: 9
- Aluminum Boats, Inc. Delivers 'Abeer Nine' To Saudi Arabia page: 10
- Unique Controllers Operate Cargo Area HVAC System On New MPS page: 10
- Halter Delivers Rocket Booster Recovery Vessel 'Independence' page: 11
- Australia Plans To Build Diesel-Electric Submarines Of European Design page: 11
- Arnessen Offers Full-Color Brochure On Atlas-Danmark Freshwater Generators page: 11
- 'FUEL SAV-R —New Fuel Monitor From National Control Systems page: 12
- Wartsila Vasa 32 Engine In Demand For New Generation Drilling Rigs page: 12
- Wartsila-Normed Joint Venture To Manufacture Diesels In France page: 13
- Racai Wins Contract From State Of Louisiana For Marine Simulator page: 14
- Pettit Paint Expands Antifoulings Market Base page: 15
- OFFSHORE EUROPE 85 Exhibition & Conference page: 16
- NMEA Annual Meeting To Be Held October 13-15 In Seattle page: 29
- Manitowoc Announces Six New Personnel Additions At Manitex Subsidiary page: 29
- Bailey Technical Center Opens In Beijing, China page: 37
- Wager Announces New Diesel Exhaust Meter page: 37
- Free 32-Page Full-Color Brochure Details Hagglunds Cargo Cranes page: 37
- Unaflex Introduces 'Supreme' Tapered Expansion Joints page: 38
- Carrier Transicold Donates Air Conditioning Units To Cousteau Vessel page: 38
- WABCO Offers Free Brochure On HelmMaster® Control Systems page: 44
- John Crane Bulletin Describes New Compact Package Seals page: 44
- Hayward Expands Duplex Basket Strainer Line page: 44
- Mark Controls Expands SD Butterfly Control Valve Line page: 45
- Shipbuilding Standards Groups Seeking Participants page: 45