Carrier Transicold Donates Air Conditioning Units To Cousteau Vessel
United Technologies' Carrier Transicold Division recently donated two water source heat pump systems to The Cousteau Society (Fondation Cousteau) to meet the cabin environmental needs of Jacques Cousteau's new experimental windship, the Alcyone. The two water source heat pump systems will provide the vessel with its only source of heating and cooling.
The Alcyone is an all-aluminum vessel built for the high seas. It is designed with two Turbosail ™ (Turbovoile) units that utilize wind as a propulsion source.
The Turbosail system is designed to cut fuel costs for commercial vessels by 15 to 30 percent, depending on the routes sailed and winds encountered. The ship includes a pair of diesel engines for primary power.
The 103-foot-long Alcyone is equipped with a pair of Carrier 50VQ048 water source heat pump systems. In addition to providing in-cabin comfort for the 12 crew members, the vertically installed Carrier air conditioning helps maintain a proper indoor temperature for a variety of electronic, radar and computer research equipment on-board the Alcyone. Captain Cousteau was pleased with the air conditioning on the ship's recent maiden voyage, adding that without the system the ship would have felt like a "World War II submarine." Energy conservation was a critical factor in construction of the windship. Due to electrical load requirements for navigation aids, lighting and other functions, maximum generator capacity for the air conditioning was 6 kw. Carrier Transicold specified the two highly efficient, 4- ton, corrosive resistant systems and specially adapted both units to marine configurations.
Carrier also provided shipboard spare parts.
Employees at Carrier's Bramalea, Ontario, Canada manufacturing facility have signed a testimonial for Captain Cousteau citing their pride in building the Carrier units delivered to him. The testimonial will be presented to Captain Cousteau by Stephen Munn, president, Carrier Transicold, at The Cousteau Society headquarters in Norfolk, Va.
For additional information on the windship Alcyone, refer to article entitled "Cousteau's Experimental Windship 'Alcyone' Arrives In New York," on page 12 in the July 16 issue of MARITIME REPORTER.
For a free catalog on all Carrier Transicold products, C i r c l e 4 6 o n Reader S e r v i c e Card
Other stories from August 15, 1985 issue
- Navy Announces Homeport Sites In Gulf Coast Area page: 5
- Hunt Associates And Gladding-Hearn Collaborate On Pilot Boat Design page: 6
- Johnson-Duramax Stuffing Boxes Make Packing Changes Easier page: 6
- Versatile FPSO Manifold System Eliminates Fluid Swivels page: 7
- Consolidation Of Chevron And Gulf Fleets Announced page: 7
- Murdock Engineering Introduces New Tension System Design page: 7
- Jeffboat Delivers River Towboat M/V Cletus To Luhr Brothers page: 8
- Reagan Nominates Navy's First Space And Warfare Systems Commander page: 8
- Total Transportation Systems Acquires Kenmark page: 8
- New Navigation System From Odin Electronics page: 8
- Free Brochure On Piston And Plunger Pumps From Cat Pumps page: 9
- Aluminum Boats, Inc. Delivers 'Abeer Nine' To Saudi Arabia page: 10
- Unique Controllers Operate Cargo Area HVAC System On New MPS page: 10
- Halter Delivers Rocket Booster Recovery Vessel 'Independence' page: 11
- Australia Plans To Build Diesel-Electric Submarines Of European Design page: 11
- Arnessen Offers Full-Color Brochure On Atlas-Danmark Freshwater Generators page: 11
- 'FUEL SAV-R —New Fuel Monitor From National Control Systems page: 12
- Wartsila Vasa 32 Engine In Demand For New Generation Drilling Rigs page: 12
- Wartsila-Normed Joint Venture To Manufacture Diesels In France page: 13
- Racai Wins Contract From State Of Louisiana For Marine Simulator page: 14
- Pettit Paint Expands Antifoulings Market Base page: 15
- OFFSHORE EUROPE 85 Exhibition & Conference page: 16
- NMEA Annual Meeting To Be Held October 13-15 In Seattle page: 29
- Manitowoc Announces Six New Personnel Additions At Manitex Subsidiary page: 29
- Bailey Technical Center Opens In Beijing, China page: 37
- Wager Announces New Diesel Exhaust Meter page: 37
- Free 32-Page Full-Color Brochure Details Hagglunds Cargo Cranes page: 37
- Unaflex Introduces 'Supreme' Tapered Expansion Joints page: 38
- Carrier Transicold Donates Air Conditioning Units To Cousteau Vessel page: 38
- WABCO Offers Free Brochure On HelmMaster® Control Systems page: 44
- John Crane Bulletin Describes New Compact Package Seals page: 44
- Hayward Expands Duplex Basket Strainer Line page: 44
- Mark Controls Expands SD Butterfly Control Valve Line page: 45
- Shipbuilding Standards Groups Seeking Participants page: 45