Westinghouse Incorporates Proven GPC-1500 Controller Into C 0 / 0 2 Trim Package
The field-proven, microprocessorbased Model 1500 General Purpose Controller has been incorporated into the Westinghouse carbon monoxide/ oxygen (C0/02) combustion trim control package by the Combustion Control Division of Westinghouse Electric Corporation.
Labeled TC-910, The Westinghouse C0/02 trim control package now calls upon the increased power and flexibility of the GPC-1500.
The GPC-1500 controller provides complete panel instrumentation with annunciation and alarm contact outputs for as many as six control loops.
Previously, the Westinghouse TC910 package incorporated the microprocessor-based Model 1400 controller which provided dedicated control for combustion air or fuel trim. The additional control capability of the GPC-1500 enables microprocessor- based control of other important boiler parameters in addition to automatic combustion trim control.
Most combustion control experts agree that oxygen trim control provides up to 90 percent of available fuel savings in an automatic combustion trim control system. The addition of carbon monoxide flue gas analysis to the trim strategy makes the remaining 10 percent of available fuel savings in the combustion process attainable.
The TC910 system utilizes the flue gas analysis provided by the Westinghouse model 620 CO analyzer and the Hagan industrial-type, in situ excess oxygen analyzer. The Model 620 CO analyzer utilizes high resolution infrared absorption spectroscopy to determine CO flue gas content. A microprocessor located in the control room uses the difference in intensities between the infrared energy transmitted across the stack and the energy received to calculate the CO content.
The Hagan in situ, zirconium oxide, excess oxygen analyzer provides accurate, reliable measurement of excess oxygen flue gas content from directly within the boiler flue.
The TC910 control system establishes the CO measurement as the primary control parameter. A CO setpoint is established and excess air is trimmed based on the CO measurement. If a sudden boiler load change or other process upset occurs and certain preset 02 high or low limits be reached, the control of the combustion process is automatically switched to the 02 control parameter. The system then quickly returns the process to within the O, limits. At this time the trim control returns to the CO control parameters.
The GPC-1500 controller can also be programmed with a unique feedforward feature that allows the TC910 system to dynamically bias the air and/or fuel control as a function of boiler load.
The feedforward control action is totally independent of the analyzers' signals from the programmed setpoints. The control action functions as an electronic cam, producing the optimum mechanical relationship between the air and fuel linkages in the combustion process during dynamic boiler load conditions.
This action allows optimum combustion trim control at all times.
The TC910 system can also include optional Veritrak recorders for providing permanent records of important combustion and trim control data.
For more information and free literature, Circle 9 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from December 1986 issue
- $40-Million Containership To Be Built By Samsung page: 4
- Frederikshavn Werft Offers Color 20-Page RO/RO Ship Brochure page: 5
- Daniel A. Marangiello Joins ANADAC, Inc. page: 5
- New Offshore Committee Formed By SNAME— McClure Named Chairman page: 6
- Cost-Saving Numeric Control Service Offered By Maritime Design page: 6
- APL To Build Five New Ships page: 7
- Todd Signs Agreement With Australian Shipbuilder For Technology Transfer page: 7
- Volvo Penta Constructing New Production Facility page: 8
- Isle Of Man Ship Registry Growing page: 8
- James J. Henry page: 8
- OUTSTANDING OCEANGOING SHIPS OF 1986 page: 10
- THEODORE ROOSEVELT (CVN-71) COMMISSIONED page: 31
- Moss Point Marine Awarded $40.7-Million Navy Contract To Build Four LSVs page: 32
- N e w Book Accounts Histories of 500 Ships Built By Newport News page: 33
- Safety Coating Developed For Navy Is Commercially A v a i l a b l e For Marine Use page: 33
- U.S. NAVY SHIP PROCUREMENT THE FY 87 NAVY SHIPBUILDING AND CONVERSION BUDGET page: 34
- Major Navy Contracts page: 37
- $240-Million Modernization Program Announced For Portsmouth Navy Shipyard page: 38
- Sparrows Point Eligible For All Navy Contracts page: 38
- NCEL Develops New Multi-Function Tool For Naval Diver Use page: 38
- $1-Million Navy Contract To Airflow Company For Dockside A / C Units page: 38
- New Jam-Proof High-Speed Data Link Sought By Navy page: 38
- First Honeywell Hydrostar Plus System Sold To Navy page: 39
- Marine Machinery Association Discusses Quality Control With Navy Officials page: 42
- Hospital Ship USNS Mercy Dedicated At NASSCO In San Diego page: 42
- Tacoma Boatbuilding Launches Tenth T-AGOS For Navy page: 45
- Aegis Missile Cruiser xLeyte Gulf' Christened At Ingalls Shipbuilding page: 46
- Over Half Of Navy's Procurement Dollars Awarded Competitively page: 46
- Westinghouse Incorporates Proven GPC-1500 Controller Into C 0 / 0 2 Trim Package page: 47
- New Brochure Emphasizes Products & Services For Defense/Marine Industry page: 50
- GE's LM2500 Engines To Power Portuguese Frigates page: 50
- Falk To Market Masson Marine Drives page: 53
- NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT page: 54
- New Corrosion-Resistant Monel Hose From Cajon page: 62
- Cunard Line To Spend $130 Million To Overhaul The Queen Elizabeth 2 page: 63
- Lubriquip Offers Literature On Automatic Centralized Lubrication Systems page: 63
- Koch-Ellis Provides Service To Meet Pollution Prevention Standards Of MARPOL 73/78 page: 63
- Mobil Oil Introduces Six Hydraulic Fluids page: 64
- Textron Marine Appoints L.N. Hairston Executive Director Of Marketing page: 64
- New Ship Repair Facility At Port Of Portland page: 65
- 300-Page Fishing Vessel Safety Manual Published page: 65
- TDI Catalog Now Includes 100-MM Chart Recorders page: 65
- Rockment To Supply Rockwool TNF Panel System For Cruise Liner page: 65
- General Electric Expands LM Family Of Aeroderivative Gas Turbines For Marine Service page: 66
- Magnavox Offers Dual Telephones With Satcom Terminals page: 69
- Bostik Introduces New Marine Grade Anti-Seize Compound page: 73
- Multipurpose Cargo Ship Launched At Jansen Werft Yard page: 73
- MacGregor-Navire System Centerpiece At Dartford 'Miniport' page: 74
- New Jamesbury Spring Actuator Is Compact, Corrosion-Resistant, Economical page: 74
- National Crane Offers Free Literature On Cranes For Marine Applications page: 79
- Farrell Says New Waterways Bill Is 'Major Step Forward' Toward Rebuilding Nation's Infrastructure page: 79
- St. Augustine Trawlers Delivers DeJong & Lebet-Designed Excursion/Diving/Cruise Ship page: 79