ASRY Continues Brisk Repair Pace
With a turnover of more than 50 percent, 2001 proved extremely successful for ASRY — the yard repaired more than 104 vessels — 18 of which were more than 175,000 dwt. Dock occupancy remained high throughout the year with the graving dock achieving 97 percent occupancy and two floating docks achieving 86 percent and 92 percent occupancy.
Steel work at the yard increased with a total of approximately 6,734 tons of steel renewal being performed - an increase of approximately 52 percent on the previous year. Partly responsible for this increase was the conversion of Abouzar 1200 from a derrick barge to a deep water pipe lay barge, which utilized more than 1,200 tons of new steel.
In addition, ASRY also made headway within the painting and blasting arena, completing more than 3.1 million sq. m.
of painting and 778,751 sq. m. of blasting.
With the world wide tanker fleet being the main market for ASRY throughout the past year, various owners have decided to call on ASRY for work on their ULCCs and VLCCs. Owners such as, Vela Corp., Bergesen, Kuwait Oil Tanker Co., Wilh. Wilhelmsen, Andros Maritime and SembCorp.
Seeing the demand for repair work in the gas and chemical market, ASRY has continued to grab hold of this area with Odfjell as its main customer. In total, seven chemical carriers were repaired at ASRY, including the Bow Eagle, Bow Viking, Bow Puma and Bow Eagle.
Repairs were also performed on three additional chemical carriers and a trio of LNG carriers.
So far this year, ASRY has been able to enjoy the continual flow of steady work. The yard was filled to capacity during the first two months of the year, beginning with two VLCCs from Saudi Arabia's Vela Corp. - Mirfak Star and Polaris Star, both of which were drydocked.
These vessels were followed by the 301,550 dwt Hamal Star and the 284,553-dwt Awadah, which arrived from Kuwait Oil Tanker Company.
World Prelude (265,553 dwt), from Singapore's World Wide Shipping was also docked at ASRY for painting and blasting. This particular job involved more than 100,000 sq. m. of ballast tank blasting and coating utilizing Sigma TCN systems — giving the vessel necessary service life up to 25 years.
Circle 4 5 on Reader Service Card www.maritimereporterinfo.com
Other stories from May 2002 issue
- Delta Queen Makes A Comeback page: 3
- USS Cole Returns to Fleet page: 4
- Polar Discovery Christened at Avondale page: 7
- Heidenreich Marine Reorganizes Companies page: 8
- Transas Breaks Through Visual Technology page: 8
- Navibulgar Finalizes Varna Shipyard Deal page: 9
- Horbeck-Leevac To Build Eight OSV's page: 9
- Navibulgar Initiates Fleet Renewal Program page: 9
- OSHA Standards Applicable on Uninspected Vessels page: 10
- Munson Delivers PACKCAT to U.S. Navy page: 11
- U.S. Navy Awards Northrop Grumman $ 1 . 3 B LHD Contract page: 11
- Shipboard Life in Style page: 12
- Has the Fast Cat Come to A Halt? page: 15
- Market Changes Mold RoRo Ship Conversions page: 16
- Seville Delivers RoPax Ferry page: 18
- Crankshaft Care Key to Vessel Profitability page: 19
- AIS:When & Where? Here & Now! page: 20
- Crowley Subsidiary Christens ATB page: 24
- Ballast Water Treatment Through Biodispersion page: 26
- LNG Breakthrough For Wartsila page: 29
- New Measures on Ballast Water Management Approval page: 32
- The GMD Group - A Young, Ambitious Team page: 33
- Seven Seas Mariner Undergoes Pod Adjustment page: 34
- Teekay Foam's Discharge Pipe Repaired in Bilbao page: 36
- Government Ships Spend Time At Cascade page: 38
- ASRY Continues Brisk Repair Pace page: 39
- FRP Pumps Offer Lasting Results page: 40
- Spray-On Insulation Cuts Maintenance Costs page: 42
- SEI Temp-Set Reusable Insulation Covers page: 42
- EU to Develop Sulfur Strategy page: 43
- CITGO Offers "No Sheen" Aquamarine Oils page: 43
- Good Fuel = Good Profits page: 44
- Lubes Keep Step With Diesel Development page: 44
- Jeamar's Winches Are Made To Order page: 45
- Victoria Shipyard Racks Up Cruise Ship Jobs page: 45
- Targeting Greek Shipping's $16B Budget page: 46
- Elefsis Helps Speed LNG Retrofit page: 47
- Stelmar Set To Expand Fleet, Receives Tanker page: 51
- HHI: To Infinity & Beyond page: 52
- Dual-Fuel Finds A New Backer page: 57
- U.S. Navy Selects Gold Team For DD(X) page: 57
- Packing Solutions Help Bear Set Sail page: 57