Perkins Introduces Compact V-8 Diesel Designed By Rolls-Royce
—Free Literature Offered— Perkins North America of Wayne, Mich., recently introduced an exceptionally compact, Rolls-Roycedesigned engine as part of a major entry into the commercial marine diesel market. The new 8HD400T design is an 8-cylinder, V-form engine that develops 400 bhp at 1,800 rpm. It is a member of the Rolls- Royce line of diesels that Perkins has introduced in the U.S. and Canada.
Perkins has also introduced other members of its HD family of 4-, 6-, 8-, and 12-cylinder commercial engines that provide economical and efficient performance for the commercial and fishing vessel markets.
The Rolls-Royce line comprises eight engines with outputs ranging from 210 to 800 bhp in both naturally aspirated and turbocharged versions.
Only two models are currently available in North America—the 8HD and a 12-cylinder line introduced last year.
The first U.S. installation of the Perkins/Rolls-Royce 12-cylinder marine diesels is in the twin-screw catamaran Bottom Time II delivered recently by Atlantic and Gulf Boat Builders of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to Bottom Time Adventures.
Each of the twin CV12 engines provides 800 bhp at 2,100 rpm.
With the addition of the Rolls- Royce models, Perkins offers 10 marine diesel engines ranging from 51 to 800 bhp, suitable for main propulsion as well as auxiliary power in a wide variety of vessels, including workboats, patrol and customs vessels, ferries, trawlers and other fishing vessels, rescue craft, and offshore supply boats.
These diesels are also suitable for generator sets to provide electrical power for air conditioning, refrigeration, lighting, and other on-board applications. They are also used in shoreside cargo-handling vehicles.
The 8HD engine was developed in cooperation with the British Royal Navy. This diesel represents the first coordination of the design talents of engineers at both the Perkins plant in Peterborough, England, and the former Rolls-Royce factory in Shrewsbury.
The lightweight 8HD, with good power-to-weight ratio, is a low-profile engine designed for many applications in commercial craft. Its compact size allows for smaller engine rooms, providing more space for cargo or accommodations, as well as greater flexibility in vessel design.
The 8HD's major benefit is said to be its outstanding fuel efficiency, coupled with ease of routine maintenance.
Available options include a power takeoff unit, keel cooling, and change-over filters. This new engine complements the 12-cylinder Rolls- Royce design introduced last year.
The 12HD610T diesel is a 60-degree V-form, water-cooled engine that provides 735 bhp at 2,100 rpm for light-duty commercial applications and 610 bhp at 1,800 rpm for heavyduty work.
Other members of the Perkins HD family of engines include the 4HD76 diesel that provides 76 bhp at 2,250 rpm, the 6HD100 of 100 bhp at 2,000 rpm, the turbocharged 6HD150T that provides 150 bhp at 2,400 rpm, the 8HD153 of 153 bhp at 2,000 rpm, and the turbocharged 8HD215T giving 215 bhp at 1,800 rpm.
For free color brochures giving full details on the Perkins HD engine family, C i r c l e 9 9 o n R e a d e r S e r v i c e C a rd For additional information and free color brochures on Perkins' Rolls-Royce-designed marine diesels, C i r c l e 2 o n R e a d e r S e r v i c e C a rd
Other stories from November 1986 issue
- Colonna's Shipyard In Norfolk Gets Floating Dock From Holland page: 6
- Korkut Engineers Offers Computer Programs For Commercial Use page: 7
- Lindenau Introduces Design For Novel 240-Passenger Sail-Cruiser page: 7
- Keel Laid At Rauma Yard For Soviet Multipurpose Antarctic Research Ship page: 8
- $40-Million MSC Contract To Moss Point Marine To Construct Army LSVs page: 9
- Wartsila To Produce Ship Accommodations In Korea page: 10
- New York Port Engineers Discuss Computerizing Diesel Fuel Quality page: 12
- Woodward Governor Co. Appoints Pete Gomm page: 12
- Free Color Brochure On Fincantieri CNI's Diesel Engines Division page: 13
- T.A.S.T. To Represent Dan-Vaerft A / S In U.S. And Canadian Markets page: 13
- Navy Issues Contract To WABCO For Propulsion Controls For T-AO Oilers page: 14
- Ashland's New Towboats Being Built By Quality Shipyards To Be Powered By Caterpillar Engines From Whayne page: 14
- W.J. Holcombe Elected Chairman And CEO Of Transamerica Delaval page: 15
- McDermott Gets Contracts Valued At $15 Million To Install Offshore Structures page: 15
- Sermatech International Offers 12-Page Brochure On Coatings And Repairs page: 16
- McAllister Bros. Appoints Martyn Reynolds VP-Sales page: 16
- Union Bay Marine And Thomas Dyer Form New Company page: 18
- Aeroquip Introduces New High-Temperature Hose page: 18
- Meyer Werft Constructing Roofed-Over Building Dock For Specialized Vessels page: 18
- M.E.K. Equipment Offers New Crane Bumpers page: 19
- Keyed Quick-Connects Assure Safety In Multiple Line Systems page: 19
- U.K. Ministry Of Defence Selects MFV Incinerators For Royal Navy Frigates page: 20
- Parametrics Offers Two New Free Brochures On AC Motor Speed Control page: 20
- Onan Expands Generator Line—Adds 12.5-KW And 30-KW Diesel Sets page: 22
- Latest Ingalls LHD Contract Has $1.1-Billion Potential page: 22
- Bird-Johnson Building World's Most Powerful CP Propellers For DDG-51 page: 25
- Fuel And Lube Oil System Repair Topic At Los Angeles SNAME Meeting page: 25
- SNAME 94th Annual Meeting And Fifth International Maritime Exposition page: 26
- Penske Literature Details New Onboard Diagnostic System page: 56
- U.K.-Built Danish Ferries Will Have MacGregor-Navire Access Equipment page: 57
- South Korean Yard Hyundai To Lengthen ACL Containerships —Valued $20 Million page: 58
- Maxim® Evaporators Introduces New Standard Designs page: 58
- Peterson Builders Launches Another Minecountermeasure Ship, MCM-3 page: 60
- Volvo Penta Names Alan Revington New General Manager page: 62
- New Pall Diesel Lube Oil Filters Offer 10-Micron Absolute Filtration page: 64
- Manitowoc Appoints Wacht VP And General Manager Of Two Subsidiaries page: 64
- Nichols Brothers Awarded Schooner Hull Contract From Marimed page: 66
- SWDiesel's SW 280 V-12 Engine Passes Tilt Performance Test page: 68
- Hospital Ship Conversions By NASSCO Topic At New York SNAME Meeting page: 68
- IMA To Publish Assessment Of Future U.S. Marine Market Growth —Commercial And Naval— page: 70
- First Of Two Big Exxon Tankers Christened At National Steel Yard page: 70
- Resistoflex Offers Free Literature On High Performance Fluid Systems page: 71
- Perkins Introduces Compact V-8 Diesel Designed By Rolls-Royce page: 72
- Moller Orders Five Ships From Odense Steel Yard —Value $150 Million— page: 74
- Wilton-Fijenoord Yard Awarded $26.7-Million Contract To Build Two Patrol Vessels For Taiwan page: 74
- New Literature Offered On Chesterton Labyrinth Seals page: 75
- Fifth Aegis Cruiser 'Bunker Hill' Commissioned In Boston Ceremony page: 76
- Drydock Used To Load Alaskan Modules Out Of Portland Shipyard page: 76
- Free Color Brochure From Envirovac Describes Vacuum Sewage Systems page: 77
- World Orderbook For 20 VLCCs At Highest In Seven Years page: 78
- New Owners Will Reorganize Sudmarine Firm page: 78
- Blystad Ships Will Join Stolt-Nielsen Parcel Tanker Fleet Pool page: 78
- Ingersoll-Rand Offers Free Color Brochure On Gas Compressors page: 79
- Enterprise Marine Completes First Major Ship Repair Contract page: 80
- Free 24-Page Technical Article On Asbestos-Free Packing Materials Offered page: 80
- Sperry Gets $17.5-Million Navy Contract To Design And Build LCAC Trainer page: 81
- Spinner II Oil Cleaning Centrifuges Reduce Engine Wear Rates— Literature Offered page: 82
- Johnson Named President, Ship Engineering & Design For Advanced Marine page: 82
- Bailey Controls Unveils Multi-Function Controller page: 82
- Hagglunds Offers Free 92-Page Publication On Cranes, Deck Machinery, Cargo Equipment page: 83
- Andersson Appointed VP, Marketing & Sales For Wartsila Diesel, Inc. page: 83
- D-C Drives Maintenance Training Courses Offered By Reliance Electric Co. page: 84
- CCT Assets Acquired By Crowley Maritime page: 84
- Sales Of MAN B&W Diesel's MC Engine Series Now More Than 10 Million BHP page: 84
- Bird-Johnson Acquires HDF And Olympic Propeller Companies And Realigns Management page: 85
- Arneson Surface Drives Offer Performance With Reliability page: 86
- M a l t a Drydock Awarded $10-Million Contract To Upgrade P & O Cruise Ship page: 87
- Compact Control Valve Does Job Of Much Larger Units page: 87
- Datamarine International And Stephens To Merge page: 88
- A&T Wins Contracts Worth $18.6 Million; Backlog At $95 Million page: 88
- Advanced Structures Offers New Free Brochure On Honeycomb Panels For Shipboard Applications page: 89
- Falk Introduces New RW Series Energy-Efficient Marine Drive page: 89
- Caterpillar Marine Service Directories Now Available page: 90
- Toma Named Marine Systems Sales Representative In Miami page: 91
- M A N B & W Engines Will Power Sitmar Cruise Ship Ordered At French Yard page: 91
- Siemens Offers Cost-Effective Solutions In Automation Systems page: 92
- Free Literature Offered On The GPS Core Module From Sperry Corporation page: 92
- Garlock Offers 40-Page 'Engineered Gasketing Products' Catalog page: 93
- Hempel Adds 'Combic' To Its Range Of Antifouling Products page: 96
- Atlas-Danmark Freshwater Generators For Surimi Processors page: 105
- Big Multipurpose Ship Delivered By Wartsila-Turku To USSR page: 105
- Blount Marine Lays Keel For Neuman Boat Line Ferry page: 105
- Remanufactured Crankshafts That Meet Marine Society Requirements Now Available page: 105