Acetylene Gas Used To Straighten Ships' Decks
Sunderland Shipbuilders, part of British Shipbuilders, is using a new system of heat treatment to straighten the decks of ships.
The technique, known as "flame straightening," uses dissolved acetylene gas in a specially developed blowpipe.
When a ship's deck is being constructed, stiffeners are positioned under the deck panels at spaces of between 700 and 800 millimeters. In between the stiffeners, ripples occur which can be as much as 25 millimeters deep.
Previously, straightening was achieved by positioning 76 millimeter flats underneath the deck, which was an expensive and timeconsuming method. It is in the shipbuilder's interest to straighten some decks, as subcontractors applying covering compositions charge more if ripples are excessive.
Using the flame-straightening technique, Sunderland Shipbuilders has reduced the ripples to five millimeters variance with an average of two heat cycles. For particularly bad areas, three or four cycles may be necessary.
Panels are first checked using a straight edge, and then are heat treated using the gas in specially developed plate straightener blowpipes blowpipes.
Decks treated to date have a plating thickness of between eight and 12 millimeters.
Flame straightening has two significant advantages over previous techniques. These are a faster and more efficient operation with the multi-nozzle blowpipe, and the fact that the principles of application are easily learned by the average workman.
The method is now being used F L O R I D A — J a c k s o n v i l l e W e e d o n Engineering Co., Inc.
G E O R G I A — S a v a n n a h Southern M a r i n e S u p p l y Co., Inc.
L O U I S I A N A — N e w Orleans H u b e v o M a r i n e Plastics, of N e w Orleans, Inc.
M A I N E — P o r t l a n d Chase, Leavitt & Co., Inc.
M A R Y L A N D — B a l t i m o r e Tate Temco, Inc.
N E W JERSEY—Linden Beacon Packing & Equipment Co., td.
O R E G O N —Portland American-Pacific Corp.
P E N N S Y L V A N I A — P h i l a d e l p h i a 3 P h i l a d e l p h i a Ship Maintenance Co., Inc. — S O U T H C A R O L I N A — C h a r l e s t o n Southeastern Supply Co., Inc.
T E X A S - H o u s t o n Texas M a r i n e & Industrial Supply Co.
W A S H I N G T O N — S e a t t l e M a y & Smith Company B E L G I U M — A n t w e r p V e r f a i l l i e & Elsig SPRL C A N A D A — H a l i f a x H u b e v o M a r i n e Plastics, Halifax F L O R I D A — M i a m i Seastores W h o l e s a l e Co.
by Sunderland Shipbuilders at each of its three yards in northeast England, and additional blowpipes are on order. At present, the accommodation decks only are treated in this way, but there is a possibility that hulls will also be treated by the same method.
Ships currently being treated are dry cargo vessels for the Bank Line of London, and bulk carriers for Yugoslavian owners.
n Avenue Phone:: DISTRIBUTORS o i n e d o p p l i c a The flame-straightening operation takes a man on average one week per ship.
The company has been using the system for six months, and group welding engineer Don Cuthbert reports that it is "the best method we have used to date." The process was developed by British Oxygen Company (BOC) in collaboration with Sunderland Shipbuilders.
Other stories from August 1978 issue
- Acetylene Gas Used To Straighten Ships' Decks page:
- Dillingham Of Guam Bids $294,000 To Repair GPA Barge Inductance page: 4
- Beliard, Crighton Opens New Drydock In Dunkirk page: 4
- Booklet Tells How To Keep Seawater Piping Systems Free Of Growth page: 4
- General Electric Gets $50-Million Gas Turbine Contract For Navy Ships page: 5
- 1,000-Foot Bulk Carrier M / V Lewis Wilson Foy Joins Bethlehem Steel's Great Lakes Fleet page: 7
- Gastech 78 LNG/LPG Conference Includes Major Paper From OPEC page: 7
- Bender To Build Fisheries Research Vessel For NOAA page: 7
- Tenn-Tom Towing Asks Title XI For Barges And Towboats page: 7
- Admiral Synnot Compliments Todd Shipyards At Launching Of Frigate For Australian Navy page: 8
- Abex/Denison Promotes W. Grimes And R. Holmes page: 8
- Congressman Murphy To Receive AOTOS Award page: 9
- Crowley Orders Two Additional Triple-Deck Barges From FMC page: 10
- International Paint Names Robert Hartley page: 10
- 1980 LNG Conference Set For Kyoto, Japan page: 10
- City Of Ponce Orders First Portainer Crane page: 10
- Blount Marine Delivers Fueling Tanker Reiss Marine To Service Great Lakes Shipping page: 11
- Use Of Helicopter To Install 18 Tank Cleaning Machines Saves Operator $37,000 And Time page: 12
- Alcoa Marine Forms New Offshore Division page: 12
- Oceaneering Int'l Names Taylor Potter page: 12
- Hoffert Marine Inc. Names Byrne Exec. VP page: 13
- A.L. Burbank And Co. Named Worldwide Agents For Fuel Savers, Inc. page: 13
- U.S. And Canadian Banks Lend $50 Million To Argentine Shipping Firm page: 14
- Dr. Wilkins Joins CDI Marine Company page: 14
- Carrington Slipways Pty. Ltd. Appoints Four Directors page: 14
- Alco Power Names Neil H. Whitehead page: 15
- Lube Oil Pump Power For Emergency page: 15
- OCEANS 78 To Feature Public Policy Issues page: 16
- Alco Power Inc. Names Richard Fuller page: 16
- Nav-Com And Simrad Co-Host Navigation Seminar page: 16
- Built By Jeffboat, Inc., The Gemini Will Transfer Bulk Materials To Ships In New Orleans Area page: 17
- Chevron Shipping Elects William Banks President page: 17
- U.S. Maritime Operations Cited For Outstanding Safety Records page: 18
- Int'l Symposium On Fracture Mechanics Proceedings Available page: 19
- British Firm Sells Survey Technique To Maritime Administration page: 20
- MTU Group Forms U.S. Subsidiary page: 20
- National Maritime Historical Society Elects Admiral Will page: 22
- Tacoma Boat Names Streb Chief Engineer page: 22
- American Society Of Naval Engineers Names Ivan Monk President page: 23
- NYC Requests Proposals For Use Of High-Speed Passenger Vessels page: 24
- Burmeister & Wain American Corporation Organizational Change page: 24
- Raytheon Marine Offers Line Of Commercial Doppler Speed Logs page: 24
- Worthington Engineered Pump Division Names Kenneth McGuckin VP page: 25
- McDermott Delivers Tug/Supply Vessel To Int'l Mooring & Marine page: 25
- Bremer Vulkan Names T.A.S.T. Corp. Exclusive U.S. Representatives page: 26
- Bird-Johnson Expands Product Line —Brochure Available page: 26
- Marine Concrete Structures Relocates Headquarters page: 26
- Southeast Asian Technical Committee Formed By ABS page: 27
- C.J. Hendry Company Announces Appointments page: 28
- San Francisco Dedicates New Ferry Terminal page: 28
- Merger Of Lykes Bros. Into LTV Corporation Approved By MSB page: 29
- Ship Performance Analyzer page: 30
- Catalog Details All BFG Industrial Hose Products page: 32
- Arctic Transportation Ltd. Commissions Research Vessel To Work For Imperial Oil page: 32
- Jakobson Shipyard Delivers Innovative Oil Skimmer Catamaran To Lagoven, C.A. page: 32
- Ocean Minerals Recovered From Floor Of Pacific By OMCO page: 33
- Maintaining Design Performance In Marine Boilers page: 34
- BSRA Confidential Report On Catamarans Can Now Be Purchased page: 35
- Newpark Shipbuilding Opens Gas-Freeing Facility In Houston page: 36
- Palmer Industries, Inc. Formed For Container Repair And Storage page: 37
- Laborde Named To Head New Orleans Office Of Marsh & McLennan, Inc. page: 37
- Dravo SteelShip Delivers The M / V P.N. Ellis For Bunkering Service On the Lower Mississippi page: 37
- Cummins KT-2300-Marine Diesel Makes North American Debut page: 38
- Todd Reports Third Successive Profitable Quarter page: 39
- Harland And Wolff Ltd. And M.A.N. Enter Agreement page: 40
- Murphy Pacific Marine Salvage Promotes Madeo page: 40
- Dates Set For International Symposium On Marine Salvage page: 42
- Sulzer Diesels Power First Combined Ro/Ro Mini-Bulk Carrier On Inland Waterways Of Europe page: 42
- Middle East Liner Trades — An Economic Analysis page: 42
- Halter Marine Delivers Two Supply Boats To Tidewater page: 43
- MSC Towing Contract Awarded To Dillingham page: 43
- Ship Design Paper Attracts Wide Interest page: 44
- Cammell Laird Opens Ship Production Line page: 45
- Congressman Murphy To Address Offshore Oil Conference page: 45
- ASNE And SNAME Members Tour Long Beach Naval Yard Complex page: 46
- General Dynamics Names Lennox General Manager Quincy Shipbuilding page: 48
- Far East-Levingston Building Pipelay Barge For NPCC, Abu Dhabi page: 49
- Schottel Of America, Inc. Opens New Office And Plant page: 50