Southeast Asian Technical Committee Formed By ABS
A new technical committee has been formed by the American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) for the purpose of enabling ABS to maintain closer contacts with scientific and technical matters relating to shipbuilding and engineering in Southeast Asia. The formation of the 83-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Technical Committee was announced by Robert T. Young, chairman of the board of ABS.
Mr. Young said that the committee is composed of prominent individuals in maritime affairs.
Chairman of the committee in Chor Teck Chua, managing director, Keppel Shipyard, Republic of Singapore, and the vice chairman is Miguel Magsaysay, president, Magsaysay Lines, Inc. Philippines.
The inaugural meeting of the committee was held on July 11 in Singapore, and was attended by Mr. Young and Warren L. Anderson, principal surveyor for the Orient, and personnel from the other ABS offices in Southeast Asia.
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations is the 15th overseas technical committee maintained by ABS. In addition to Mr.
Chua and Mr. Magsaysay, the members of the new committee are: From Indonesia — Capt. Drs.
M.J.P. Hahijary, president/director, P.T. Djakarta Lloyd; Ir. S.
Harsono, director of marine industries, Direktorat Industri Perkapalan, Ditjen Industri Logam Dan Mesin; M. Husseyn Umar, S.H., president/director, Pengembangan Armada Niaga Nasional, P.T.; Soetopo Iman, president/ director, P.T. Pertamina Tongkang, and Adil A. Nurimba, president/ director, P.T. Gesuri Lloyd.
From Malaysia—Leslie Eu, director and general manager, Malaysian International Shipping Corporation Bhd., and Ibrahim Mohamed Taib, joint general manager, Malaysia Shipyard and Engineering Sdn. Bhd.
From Philippines — Roberto S.
Benedicto, chairman, Northern Lines, Inc.; Q.S. Camus, president, Atlantic, Gulf & Pacific Co.
of Manila, Inc.; Robert Coyiuto, president, Pioneer Insurance Companies; Constante Farinas, chairman, National Development Company; Jose P. Fernandez, president, Compania Maritima; Carlos Ledesma, president, Negros Navigation Company; Bienvenido L.
Lim, president, Reyes & Lim Company, Inc.; Eduardo J. Rodriguez, president, National Steel Corporation; Adm. Hilario M. Ruiz, president, Philippine Dockyard Corporation; Col. Generoso F. Tanseco (ret.), Administrator, Maritime Industry Authority, and Emilio T. Yap, president, Philippine President Lines, Inc.
From Republic of Singapore— Brian Chang, chairman/managing director, Promet Private Limited; Y.C. Chang, managing director, Pacific International Lines (Pte.) Ltd.; Gek Khiam Koh, managing director, Sing Koon Seng Private Limited; Kok Kim Kuah, chairman, Asiatic Navigation International Limited; K.C. Lee, chairman, Asia-Pacific Shipyard Pte.
Ltd.; S.Y. Loh, director, Robin Group; Guan Onn Low, joint managing director, Jurong Shipyard Limited; Cheng Eng Lua, general manager, Neptune Orient Lines Ltd.; P.H. Meadows, chairman/ managing d i r e c t o r , Far East- Levingston Shipbuilding Ltd.; Isoe Takezawa, president and director, Mitsubishi Singapore Heavy Industries (Pte.) Ltd.; C.N. Watson, managing director, Sembawang Shipyard Limited, and Conan Wu, Conan Wu & Associates Pte. Ltd.
From Thailand — Rear Adm.
Banpot Sudswang, R.T.N., director general, Thai Maritime Navigation Company, Ltd.
The American Bureau of Shipping is an international ship classification society that establishes standards, called Rules, for the design, construction, and periodic survey of merchant vessels and other marine structures.
Other stories from August 1978 issue
- Acetylene Gas Used To Straighten Ships' Decks page:
- Dillingham Of Guam Bids $294,000 To Repair GPA Barge Inductance page: 4
- Beliard, Crighton Opens New Drydock In Dunkirk page: 4
- Booklet Tells How To Keep Seawater Piping Systems Free Of Growth page: 4
- General Electric Gets $50-Million Gas Turbine Contract For Navy Ships page: 5
- 1,000-Foot Bulk Carrier M / V Lewis Wilson Foy Joins Bethlehem Steel's Great Lakes Fleet page: 7
- Gastech 78 LNG/LPG Conference Includes Major Paper From OPEC page: 7
- Bender To Build Fisheries Research Vessel For NOAA page: 7
- Tenn-Tom Towing Asks Title XI For Barges And Towboats page: 7
- Admiral Synnot Compliments Todd Shipyards At Launching Of Frigate For Australian Navy page: 8
- Abex/Denison Promotes W. Grimes And R. Holmes page: 8
- Congressman Murphy To Receive AOTOS Award page: 9
- Crowley Orders Two Additional Triple-Deck Barges From FMC page: 10
- International Paint Names Robert Hartley page: 10
- 1980 LNG Conference Set For Kyoto, Japan page: 10
- City Of Ponce Orders First Portainer Crane page: 10
- Blount Marine Delivers Fueling Tanker Reiss Marine To Service Great Lakes Shipping page: 11
- Use Of Helicopter To Install 18 Tank Cleaning Machines Saves Operator $37,000 And Time page: 12
- Alcoa Marine Forms New Offshore Division page: 12
- Oceaneering Int'l Names Taylor Potter page: 12
- Hoffert Marine Inc. Names Byrne Exec. VP page: 13
- A.L. Burbank And Co. Named Worldwide Agents For Fuel Savers, Inc. page: 13
- U.S. And Canadian Banks Lend $50 Million To Argentine Shipping Firm page: 14
- Dr. Wilkins Joins CDI Marine Company page: 14
- Carrington Slipways Pty. Ltd. Appoints Four Directors page: 14
- Alco Power Names Neil H. Whitehead page: 15
- Lube Oil Pump Power For Emergency page: 15
- OCEANS 78 To Feature Public Policy Issues page: 16
- Alco Power Inc. Names Richard Fuller page: 16
- Nav-Com And Simrad Co-Host Navigation Seminar page: 16
- Built By Jeffboat, Inc., The Gemini Will Transfer Bulk Materials To Ships In New Orleans Area page: 17
- Chevron Shipping Elects William Banks President page: 17
- U.S. Maritime Operations Cited For Outstanding Safety Records page: 18
- Int'l Symposium On Fracture Mechanics Proceedings Available page: 19
- British Firm Sells Survey Technique To Maritime Administration page: 20
- MTU Group Forms U.S. Subsidiary page: 20
- National Maritime Historical Society Elects Admiral Will page: 22
- Tacoma Boat Names Streb Chief Engineer page: 22
- American Society Of Naval Engineers Names Ivan Monk President page: 23
- NYC Requests Proposals For Use Of High-Speed Passenger Vessels page: 24
- Burmeister & Wain American Corporation Organizational Change page: 24
- Raytheon Marine Offers Line Of Commercial Doppler Speed Logs page: 24
- Worthington Engineered Pump Division Names Kenneth McGuckin VP page: 25
- McDermott Delivers Tug/Supply Vessel To Int'l Mooring & Marine page: 25
- Bremer Vulkan Names T.A.S.T. Corp. Exclusive U.S. Representatives page: 26
- Bird-Johnson Expands Product Line —Brochure Available page: 26
- Marine Concrete Structures Relocates Headquarters page: 26
- Southeast Asian Technical Committee Formed By ABS page: 27
- C.J. Hendry Company Announces Appointments page: 28
- San Francisco Dedicates New Ferry Terminal page: 28
- Merger Of Lykes Bros. Into LTV Corporation Approved By MSB page: 29
- Ship Performance Analyzer page: 30
- Catalog Details All BFG Industrial Hose Products page: 32
- Arctic Transportation Ltd. Commissions Research Vessel To Work For Imperial Oil page: 32
- Jakobson Shipyard Delivers Innovative Oil Skimmer Catamaran To Lagoven, C.A. page: 32
- Ocean Minerals Recovered From Floor Of Pacific By OMCO page: 33
- Maintaining Design Performance In Marine Boilers page: 34
- BSRA Confidential Report On Catamarans Can Now Be Purchased page: 35
- Newpark Shipbuilding Opens Gas-Freeing Facility In Houston page: 36
- Palmer Industries, Inc. Formed For Container Repair And Storage page: 37
- Laborde Named To Head New Orleans Office Of Marsh & McLennan, Inc. page: 37
- Dravo SteelShip Delivers The M / V P.N. Ellis For Bunkering Service On the Lower Mississippi page: 37
- Cummins KT-2300-Marine Diesel Makes North American Debut page: 38
- Todd Reports Third Successive Profitable Quarter page: 39
- Harland And Wolff Ltd. And M.A.N. Enter Agreement page: 40
- Murphy Pacific Marine Salvage Promotes Madeo page: 40
- Dates Set For International Symposium On Marine Salvage page: 42
- Sulzer Diesels Power First Combined Ro/Ro Mini-Bulk Carrier On Inland Waterways Of Europe page: 42
- Middle East Liner Trades — An Economic Analysis page: 42
- Halter Marine Delivers Two Supply Boats To Tidewater page: 43
- MSC Towing Contract Awarded To Dillingham page: 43
- Ship Design Paper Attracts Wide Interest page: 44
- Cammell Laird Opens Ship Production Line page: 45
- Congressman Murphy To Address Offshore Oil Conference page: 45
- ASNE And SNAME Members Tour Long Beach Naval Yard Complex page: 46
- General Dynamics Names Lennox General Manager Quincy Shipbuilding page: 48
- Far East-Levingston Building Pipelay Barge For NPCC, Abu Dhabi page: 49
- Schottel Of America, Inc. Opens New Office And Plant page: 50