Mississippi Marine Towboat Delivers Two New Vessels To Palmer Barge Line
M i s s i s s i p p i M a r i n e Towboat Corporation of Greenville, Miss., recently delivered two vessels — the M / V Scott Palmer and the M / V Stacey Palmer — to Palmer Barge Line, Inc. of Nederland, Texas.
The sister vessels, both recently commissioned by the Palmer firm, were completely d e s i g n e d and built by Mississippi Marine. Both vessels, based in Port Arthur, Texas, are primarily engaged in towing petroleum products.
The hulls of the Palmer crafts are 60 feet long, 24 feet wide, by 8 feet deep, with normal operating drafts of 6 feet 6 inches. Twin Detroit Diesel 1 6 V - 7 1 e n g i n es generating 1,200 horsepower @ 1,800 rpm each, drive both boats.
Stainless-steel 56-inch-diameter Kahlenberg propellers with a 47- inch pitch are coupled with the engines via Twin Disc MG-518 reduction gears with a 5.07:1 ratio.
Quincy F325-14 air compressors are also on board.
K e n n e d y E n g i n e in Biloxi, Miss., supplied both the engines and the Delco 40-kw generators to Mississippi Marine. The engine monitoring equipment came from Pan American Systems of Belle Chasse, La.
Both vessels have liquid capacities of 13,500 gallons of fuel, 4,500 gallons of fresh water, and 350 gallons of lube oil.
Matthews Marine Systems, Inc.
designed the steering system for the Scott Palmer, while M & I Hydraulics of Jackson, Miss., supplied the system for the Stacey Palmer. B o t h b o a t s have two steering rudders and four flanking rudders.
Each craft has two 55/75 Modar VHF radios with a Raytheon 350 loud hailer and SBA-301 SSB.
Similarly, both are radar equipped with a Decca RM 914C. Both accommodate a crew of six. The Stacey Palmer consists of a main deck with two double staterooms f o r the crew, and a second deck with one stateroom with two sin gle bunks for the captain and pilot. The Scott Palmer has a main deck, identical to the Stacey Palmer, with two double staterooms for the captain and pilot on the second deck.
Each vessel has r e m o v a b le stacks, Mathers AD-14 air throttle controls and central air-conditioning.
Mississippi Marine, located on L a k e F e r g u s o n at Greenville, builds towboats and barges and offshore vessels. It also operates dual drydock facilities f o r repairs and vessel renovations on inland waterways. The firm offers towboat design and construction f r om initial design phase through completion.
The firm has recently finished c o n s t r u c t i o n of its own second 1,750-ton drydock to complement the capacities of its existing 2,500-ton drydock.
For further information, contact D. John Nichols, Mississippi Marine Towboat Corp., P.O. Box 539, H a r b o r F r o n t Industrial Park, Greenville, Miss. 38701.
Phone (601) 332-5457.
Other stories from January 1980 issue
- Title XI Requested For 2 Lakes Carriers Costing $ 6 0 M i l l i on page: 4
- AWO Reports $2.9 Billion In New Waterways Plants In First Half Of 1979 page: 4
- T i d e w a t e r M a r i n e Tows M o b i l e Supply Vessel Eleven Thousand Miles page: 6
- M o o r e McCormack Names Three To Key Positions page: 6
- Desco Marine Launches Its 100th Cummins-Powered Boat page: 9
- Bay S h i p b u i l d i n g Lays Keel For Turecamo Barge page: 11
- Blount To Build 75-Foot 1 8 9 0 ' s Style Steam Launch page: 11
- Kent And Boling Elected To The NOIA Board page: 11
- D a v i e Launches Second Jackup Drilling Rig For Global M a r i n e Drilling Company page: 12
- Marinette Marine Christens Second And Third Of Seven N e w Tugs For U.S. Navy page: 12
- 1980 Annual Meeting, Water Resources Congress page: 12
- Papers Call For First P a n - A m e r i c a n Conference Of Ocean Engineering page: 14
- M a r A d A w a r d s Contract For Sailing Ship Study page: 14
- McDermott Building Two Bulkfleet Marine Tugs Custom-Made For Future page: 14
- Reduced Towing Costs Subject Of Study On Towing Surge Pendants page: 16
- Todd W i l l Deliver 2 4 0 0 ' Barges To M o n t a uk Oil T r a n s p o r t a t i o n Corp. page: 17
- Raytheon Service Co. Brochure Describes A u t o - A l a rm RCVR/KYR page: 17
- N a t i o n a l M a r i n e Shipyard Division To O p e n N ew Gulf Coast Facilities page: 18
- LNG V i r g o N a m ed At General Dynamics page: 18
- Port Weller Dry Docks Delivers Bulk Carrier With Fuel Efficient Hull page: 18
- 123-Foot Northern Leader From MARCO Equipped As Catcher, Freezer, Packer page: 20
- FMC Releases Study On Virgin Islands Trade page: 20
- H i l l m a n D e l i v e r i n g 14 N e w Chemical Barges To PPG page: 21
- NASSCO Awarded 5-Ship $239-Million Contract By American Tankships page: 22
- M a r A d Study A v a i l a b le O n D e v e l o p m e n t Of A S t a n d a r d C a r g o Ship page: 23
- Chevron Orders Two 3 5 , 0 0 0 - D W T Product Tankers From Mitsubishi page: 24
- M a n g o n e Delivers Research Vessel, W e s t e r n Strait, To Western Geophysical page: 24
- A.L. Kucera Elected President Of A WO page: 24
- Crude Oil Supply And Tanker Demand Report Available From Drewry page: 24
- Fourth British C o l u m b ia T o w b o a t Conference Set For M a r c h 2 1 - 2 2 , 1980 page: 25
- B e t h l e h em Reorganizes S h i p b u i l d i n g D e p a r t m e nt page: 25
- Lips-Doran To Establish Chesapeake, Va., Plant page: 25
- P e r t a m i n a 1020 Delivered By Hitachi Zosen page: 26
- USS H a r r y W . Hill Commissioned At Ingalls S h i p b u i l d i ng page: 27
- Dinko's Marine Service Orders Supply Vessel From Mississippi Marine page: 27
- New Major Shipyard To Be Formed In Hong Kong page: 27
- Shell Orders 11,500-DWT Tanker From Valmet page: 28
- S.G. Dever N a m ed V P Of Colmac Coil M f g. page: 29
- Exxon ULCCs Receive S t a n w i c k M a i n t e n a n ce A n d Inventory Services page: 29
- Shell Offers Literature On New Diesel Oils page: 32
- Halter Marine, Inc. Sets Production Record - 2 2 8 Deliveries In 1979 page: 33
- FMC Signs N e w Barge Contract W i t h Puget Sound Freight Lines page: 34
- t h Ocean Energy Conference Set For June In W a s h i n g t o n , D.C. page: 34
- SNAME Philadelphia Hears Paper On Hopper Dredge Design page: 34
- McAllister Acquires Baker-Whiteley— Now Offers Baltimore-Based Marine Services page: 34
- Gibbs & Cox Names Stark Assistant VP page: 35
- Kings Point Names G.A. Uberti Of NASSCO M a r i n e M a n Of Year page: 35
- De Laval Offers Literature On Centrifuges For Shipboard Use page: 35
- Four Agents N a m e d By N a t i o n a l M a r i n e Service page: 36
- Electro-Nav To M a r k et SATURN Satcom In U.S. page: 36
- North Sea Corrosion Conference Papers Now Available In Book Form page: 36
- Shipping Orders Worth £ 4 2 M i l l i o n For U.K. Y a rd page: 37
- GE's Ground Systems D e p a r t m e n t Renamed page: 37
- Davie Signs $C35-Million Petrobras Rig Contract page: 37
- S t a n w i c k A n d Vickers Form Joint Company page: 38
- M a r t i n o N a m e d Assistant G e n e r a l M a n a g e r At Todd Galveston Yard page: 38
- FMC Marine And Rail Launches Fourth Ro/Ro Barge For Crowley page: 38
- John S. Hollett Joins Crowley Maritime page: 38
- Olson N a m e d President Of W i l l a m e t t e Tug & Barge page: 39
- N e w M A R C O Brochure Describes Hydraulic Pump Drive Units page: 39
- E.C. Flint Promoted At Zidell's Marine Construction Division page: 39
- Construction To Begin On New $20-Million N.Y. Container Terminal page: 39
- G l a d d i n g - H e a r n Delivers Pilot Boat Huron Belle page: 40
- ABS Approves Use Of Protective Ceramic M e t al —Literature A v a i l a b le page: 40
- 3 New Reports Now Available From Ship Structure Committee page: 40
- International Oil Spill Conference To Be Held In Atlanta March 2-5, 1981 page: 40
- Norwegian Firm Offers Porthole/Escape Hatch —Meets Safety Rules page: 41
- Mississippi Marine Towboat Delivers Two New Vessels To Palmer Barge Line page: 41
- Pickands Mather Awards $10-Million Conversion Order To Fraser Shipyard page: 42
- S N A M E N e w England Hears Paper, ' L i a b i l i t y A v o i d a n c e In Ship Design A n d Construction' page: 44
- N e w OMNITHRUSTER For Small Commercial Boats —Literature A v a i l a b le page: 44
- Burton Launches Third Of Seven Tuna Seiners page: 46
- MorMac Appoints Marcelewski Philadelphia Office Manager —Edward J. Desher Retires page: 46
- Farrell Realigns Executive Personnel page: 46
- W e s t e r n Oceanic Inc. To Build 300-Ft. W a t er Depth Jackup page: 47
- Newport News Delivers The U.S.T. Pacific In Record Time page: 47
- Bourgeois And Mitchell Elected Vice Presidents At State Boat Corp. page: 47
- SNAME L.A. Section Hears Paper On Air Cushion Drilling Systems page: 48
- N o r w e g i a n Firm To Buy Jetfoils For Offshore Use From Boeing M a r i ne page: 48
- H i g h Pressure Filter Selection G u i d e From P a u l - M u n r o e Hydraulics page: 49
- Propp N a m e d M a n a g e r Of Z i d e l l ' s Swan Island M a r i n e Repair Division page: 49