Kone And Far East-Levingston In Joint Venture For Crane Manufacturing In Singapore
Kone Corporation and Far East-Levingston Shipbuilding Ltd. (FELS) recently announced that they have entered into a joint venture agreement for the production, manufacturing, assembly, and sale of harbor and shipyard cranes and bulk material handling systems in Singapore, as well as in marketing, distribution, delivery, and aftersales services in the Asian region.
The new company will be named Kone FELS Cranes Pte. Ltd.
Kone Corporation of Finland is one of the leading manufacturers of materials handling equipment in the world.
The new joint-venture company will be Kone's fifth operation in Singapore, the others being Kone Regional office for the Far East; Kone Elevator Pte. Ltd.; Kone Products & Engineering (S) Pte. Ltd., and Navire Cargo Gear Southeast Pte. Ltd.
The market for different materials handling equipment in the Far East countries looks very promising for the next 10 years.
This is the main reason, Kone reported, for establishing a production facility in Southeast Asia.
KFC will market its products in the Far East as part of its worldwide marketing and production network. With the establishment of KFC, Kone will now have two crane plants to meet worldwide demand. The other plant is in Finland.
The joint-venture was conceived with the close cooperation of Singapore's Economic Development Board (EDB) and the Jurong Town Corporation (JTC).
The project has been granted, in principle, pioneer status by EDB and a 2.2 hectare piece of land was made available to KFC by JTC for the joint venture. The construction of the plant will commence this year.
The joint venture is also in line with the diversification plan mapped out by FELS. KFC is FELS's third separate enterprise in the area, with the other two being wholly owned subsidiaries: FELS Consultancy Pte. Ltd. and Brightway Property Pte. Ltd.
Other stories from January 15, 1983 issue
- Aalborg Vaerft Conducts Tank Tests Of New Cruise Liner Model page: 6
- Thomas Marine Delivers Two 38-Foot Police Patrol Boats page: 8
- Todd Pacific Delivers Guided Missile Frigate Reid To The U.S. Navy page: 8
- Kone And Far East-Levingston In Joint Venture For Crane Manufacturing In Singapore page: 10
- CSSRA Urges Adoption Of Canadian Building Policy page: 10
- Leevac Corporation Names Terry Hardouin Planning Manager page: 10
- Tidewater Marine Buys T1 Vessels From Halter Marine For $33 Million page: 11
- A.S.N.E. PUTTING FIRE POWER TO SEA page: 12
- Elliott Awarded Additional Contract For Thruster Unit page: 15
- Roger Ffooks Appointed European Representative For J.J. Henry Firm page: 15
- Battleship New Jersey Is Recommissioned page: 16
- Norshipco's Floating Drydock Titan' Aids In Tunnel Construction Project page: 16
- Aeroquip Names Manager, Contract Administration, For M a r i n e / M i l i t a r y Products page: 17
- Two Ro/Ro's For Saudi Arabia Dedicated At Kockums, Four-Ship Order Valued At $250 Million page: 17
- Navy Civil Engineering Lab Completes Studies On Future Pier Designs page: 18
- New Marine Insurance Brochure Available From Skuld In Norway page: 18
- Dravo Appoints Three Senior Officials In Its Marine Construction Organization page: 19
- $32.6-Million Title XI Sought For Purchase And Rebuilding Of RO/RO page: 19
- SKF Couplings Described In Free 26-Page Full-Color Brochure page: 19
- Joseph Farrell Selected As New AWO President page: 20
- Navy Awards $1.87-Million Crane Contract To Clyde page: 20
- Ship Model Basin Dedicated At N.Y. State Maritime College page: 20
- New Ferry Contract For Over $1-Million Awarded To Offshore Shipbuilding page: 21
- Lykes Ship Sends Data By Satellite-Phone Hookup page: 21
- Oceans '83 Conference Issues Call For Papers page: 21
- Nichols Brothers Yard Starts Work On 265-Foot Split-Hull Hopper Dredge page: 21
- Ehrenfried Of Metritape Presents Paper At SNAME New England Meeting page: 21
- MAN-B&W Diesel Holds Symposium For West Coast Marine Industry Leaders page: 22
- Bruce D. Smith Elected President Of COMSAT Technology Products page: 22
- MacGregor To Equip 30 Barges, 3 Ships Building In Japan For Paraguay page: 22
- Barber President Named Commissioner Of Pilots page: 35
- Bates To Retire As ACL Chairman At End Of '83, —Koch Named Successor page: 35
- $ 5 . 4 - M i l l i o n Navy Contract A w a r d e d Tracor For SSBN Sonar Systems Services page: 36
- Romanelli Joins Fairhaven M a r i n e As Vice President page: 36
- Kelly Named Vice President Of Lykes Pacific Division page: 37
- M a r A d Offers Report On Shipboard Fuel Handling And Conditioning page: 37
- New 15-100 H.P. Barge Spotters Described In Free Literature page: 37
- Lockheed To Build Prototype Vehicles To*' Destroy Naval Mines page: 38
- Coast Guard Publishes Revised Navigation Rules page: 39
- Johnson & Towers Named Alco Diesel Distributor —Literature Offered page: 39
- ASNE Southern New England Discusses Sub Combat Systems page: 41
- MarAd Approves Crowley Acquisition Of Delta Steamship Stock For $96 Million page: 42
- LTI Introduces New System For M o v i n g Ship Sections —Literature A v a i l a b le page: 43
- SNAME-Philadelphia Section Hears Paper On Marine Epoxy Resin Chocks page: 44
- Trellclean Conducts Technical Briefing And Hull-Cleaning Demonstration page: 44
- Uniflite Announces Three Executive Appointments page: 45
- Deep-Notch Tug And Barge Delivered To Energy Transportation page: 45
- Jackup Rig "Sam Noble" Is Christened At Levingston page: 46
- New USCG Pollution Prevention Requirements Effective October 2 page: 46
- Stone Manganese Offers Technical Reports On Fuel Economy And Propellers page: 48
- Burton Delivers 224-Foot Seiner, Sixth Of Seven Foir Van Camp page: 48
- Pan-American Naval Engineers To Hold 1983 Meeting in D.C. page: 48
- Paceco Delivers Railmounted Transtainer Crane To U.S. Army page: 53
- Hoffert Manufacturing Awards Caribbean Cruise At SNAME Exposition page: 58
- Nome Seeks $38.5-Million For Proposed Year-Round Port page: 58
- Bay Shipbuilding Retains W i l l i am Thompson As Washington Representative page: 59
- Bulk Carrier Karnataka Undergoes Repairs, Modernization At HUD page: 59
- Dravo Launches Coastal Hopper Barge For C.G. Willis page: 59