Chesapeake Marine Engineering Symposium Set For January 24, 1986
The Chesapeake Section of The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers has announced that the 1986 Chesapeake Marine Engineering Symposium is to be held on January 24, 1986, at the Sheraton National Hotel in Arlington, Va.
The featured speaker for the reception and luncheon will be Rear Adm. James Webber, USN, Chief Engineer of the Naval Sea Systems Command.
Preceding the symposium, on the evening of January " ? 1986, will be the annual joint dinner meeting of the Chesapeake Section and the Flagship Section of the American Society of Naval Engineers. This year's joint dinner meeting speaker is Representative Roy Dyson of Maryland, member of the House Armed Services Committee and member of the Merchant Marine Subcommittee.
The theme of the symposium is "Marine Engineering in the Year 2000." Morning Sessions—9 a.m.
Session I—Moderator, Jack Abbott; Assistant, Richard Murphy.
"Noise Source Levels of Shipboard Machinery," by P.K. Rasper and S. Feldman, NKF Engineering, Inc.
"Hydraulic Analysis of Multibranch Piping Systems," by R.C.
Sanders, T.G. Lestina, and D.B.
Weaver, MPR Associates, Inc.
"Shipboard Vibration Can Be Controlled," by E.F. Noonan, NKF Engineering, Inc.
Session II—Moderator, Comdr.
John Maxham, USCG; Assistant, Bruce Jackson.
"Application of Power System Modeling Techniques to 400 Hz Shipboard Electronic Power Systems," by J. Sofia, David Taylor Naval Ship Research and Development Center.
"Evaluation of Automated Vital Systems," by Lt. P.L. Randall, USCG.
"The Electric Power Interface Compatibility (EPIC) Program," by J. Langsner, Designers & Planners, and H.P. Wong, Naval Sea Systems Command.
Afternoon Sessions—2 p.m.
Session III—Moderator. Capt.
James Grabb, USCG (ret.); Assistant, Vernon Klemm.
" S e l e c t i on of the Propulsion Plant for an Icebreaking Tanker," by R.A. Levine, ARCO Marine, Inc.
"Introducing a Foreign Diesel into U.S. Navy Service," by E.K.
Moe, Naval Sea Systems Command, and R.S. Carleton and V.
Kpnal, Designers & Planners.
"Saving Fuel Aboard U.S. Naval Vessels," by R. Dangel and G.
Healy, Naval Sea Systems Command.
Session IV—Moderator, Ron Cauley; Assistant, Ralph Johnson.
"The Role of Human Engineering in Achieving Technical Excellence," by J. Castle, Naval Sea Systems Command, and G. Miller, G.E.
Miller & Associates.
"The Concept of Advanced Concepts," by J.F. Sladky Jr., University of Washington, R.W. Gallington, SAI Corp., and M. Terry, Boeing Marine Systems.
" M a r i n e C o r r o s i o n , " by H.
Bliele, Naval Sea Systems Command.
For registration information, contact Gregg Hagedorn, 1124 Allison Street, Alexandria, Va. 22302, phone (202) 692-0323.
Other stories from January 1986 issue
- Bethlehem Steel Selects Delaval R5 Engines For Two New Navy Vessels page: 5
- Bay Shipbuilding Expands Foreign Trade Zone page: 5
- Elliott White Gill Names Lirette Sales Manager page: 6
- Free Brochure On Modular Bathrooms For Marine Use page: 6
- Gladding-Hearn Shipbuilding To Build Large, Fast Passenger Catamarans On The East Coast page: 6
- Free Literature Describes New Repair Compounds From Philadelphia Resins page: 6
- ODECO Elects Kilpatrick Executive Vice President page: 6
- Avondale Yard Awarded $300-Million Navy Contract To Build Two More LSDs page: 7
- PROPULSION UPDATE First U.S.-Built Twin-Screw Towmaster Rudder System On Tug page: 7
- Combustion Engineering A w a r d e d $12 Million In Navy Boiler Contracts page: 7
- Huthnance Consolidates Management Of Nine Offshore Drilling Rigs page: 7
- Hagglunds Offers Elaborate 72-Page Full-Color Booklet On Cranes And Equipment page: 7
- M.A.N.-GHH Completes Floating Dock For Iran page: 8
- Navy Ends Suspension; Tracor, Inc., Resumes Government Contracting page: 8
- ' 85 Sales Of Imperial Survival Suits Nears 100,000 page: 8
- Aalborg Yard Launches Third Reefer For Delivery To USSR's Sudoimport page: 8
- Unique Sidewheeler Replica Craft Completed By Offshore Shipbuilding page: 9
- ABS Elects John Borum Senior Vice President page: 9
- OUTSTANDING INLAND/OFFSHORE VESSELS AND RIGS OF 1985 page: 12
- 38th Annual CSSRA Conference And First Canadian Shipbuilding & Offshore Exhibition page: 12
- $5-Billion Hibernia Offshore Project Will Get Under Way Early This Year page: 13
- Major Manufacturers Attend First Diesel Propulsion Conference Held In Seat page: 14
- Roger Nejes Appointed Assistant To President, Todd Shipyards Corp. page: 14
- Armco Continues To Upgrade Speciality Steels Facilities page: 14
- Westport Yard Building Fiberglass Passenger Vessel For TravAlaska page: 15
- Simrad, Inc. Opens U.S. East Coast Branch Office page: 15
- Balehi Marine Christens Twin-Screw Harbor Utility Boat page: 16
- Fast Sealift Ship USNS Altair Dedicated At Avondale Industries Shipyard Division page: 16
- Fincantieri Completes Major Overhauls On Two RO/RO-Containerships page: 17
- Shelley To Succeed Holmes As President Of Raytheon page: 17
- Ingersoll-Rand Purchases Fafnir Bearing Division page: 17
- McDermott Gets $48-Million Offshore Contract From Chinese Petroleum Corporation page: 18
- Pool Arctic Alaska Orders Bardex Hydranautics Island Rig Skidding System page: 18
- Bay Shipbuilding Lays Keel For Second Of Three Containerships page: 18
- Omnithrusters Delivered For Canadian Government Vessels page: 18
- Ingram Barge Completes Organization Changes— Reports Rapid G r o w th page: 19
- Optimizing Efficiency Levels Of Boiler Feed Turbo Pumps page: 20
- Russellstoll Offers Full-Color Bulletin On Heliport Lighting System page: 20
- Nichols Brothers Delivering Catamaran To Glacier Bay Yachts page: 21
- Simultaneous Drydocking Requires Separation Of 70,000-Ton Drydock At Penn Ship page: 21
- REDUCING FUEL COSTS page: 24
- OUTSTANDING CONVERSIONS page: 25
- B&R Offers Literature On Company Services, Products And Programs page: 27
- Joseph A. Watters Appointed President, Royal Viking Line page: 27
- BP Offers 60-Page Brochure On Facilities/Capabilities page: 28
- Farboil Offers Two Free Directories On Marine Coatings and Systems page: 28
- Todd Galveston Awarded $21.6-Million Modification Of Second T-AVB Vessel page: 28
- PNOC Marine And Bardex Hydranautics Build World Class Shipyard page: 29
- Gems Sensors Expands Line Of Level Indicators page: 29
- White Named Senior Vice President At American Systems Engineering page: 29
- 1986 DIESEL ENGINE GUIDE page: 30
- Karl Senner Offers Sales And Service For Reintjes Marine Gears page: 30
- DDA Offers Expanded Product Line And Streamlined Manufacturing Facilities page: 30
- Steamship Company Chief Given Top Federal Academy Alumni A w a rd page: 31
- New Marine Overcoat Sea-Slide™ Increases Speed, Saves Fuel page: 31
- Valley Line Reorganizes And Expands Marketing Department— Three N e w Executives Join Firm page: 31
- First Lucander-Designed Tug Nozzle Built By ideal Machine page: 31
- American Metal Bearing's Rubber Bearing Staves Approved By Navy page: 32
- Brochure Explains N e w USCG Survival Suit Regulations page: 32
- Saab Electronics Introduces TankRadar page: 33
- Alden Electronics Introduces Tactical Facsimile Receiver page: 33
- Furuno Introduces Digitized Small Radar page: 33
- Offshore Triple-Effect Water Makers From Atlas-Danmark Save Thousands In Operating Expenses page: 34
- Acoustical Barrier Material Data Sheet Available page: 34
- Robertshaw Literature Describes Versatile Diaphragm Actuators page: 34
- Gladding-Hearn Delivers Two Tugs To Bermuda's Department Of Marine page: 34
- Belgian Shipbuilder "Floats7 Massive GRP Mold On Film Of Air page: 36
- Navigation Sciences Offers VIEWNAV® Master Mariner Brochure page: 36
- Bailey Offers N e w Color Brochure On Recorders And Data Loggers page: 36
- Cummins Uprates B Series Marine Diesel Engines page: 38
- Titeflex Offers 22-Page Catalog On Smooth Bore Teflon Hose page: 38
- Cincinnati Gear Offers Free Color Brochure On Large Gears And Parts page: 38
- Baldt Offers New 12-Page Full-Color Facilities Brochure page: 38
- Texaco Marine Services Receives Ship Management Contracts page: 41
- Wilson Walton Sells Testing Services For Ships/Offshore Structures page: 41
- Eastern Marine Developing One Of Three Facilities As Offshore Supply Base page: 42
- Sulzer Introduces A Longer-Stroke Medium-Speed Engine page: 42
- Chesapeake Marine Engineering Symposium Set For January 24, 1986 page: 43
- N e w Compact Thermocoil Diesel Fuel Heater From Racor page: 43
- Marathon LeTourneau Reorganizes Marine And Offshore Operations page: 44
- Garlock Offers 44 Page Catalog On Sealing Devices page: 44
- Todd Awarded $33-Million Conversion By Matson Navigation page: 45
- McAllister Bros. Acquires Norfolk, Baltimore And Carolina Lines Assets page: 46
- Fine Metering Valves From Nupro Offer Improved Stability & Flow Control page: 47
- Sparrows Point Yard Wins Repair Contract For 'Energy Independence' page: 47
- The Federal Policy Vacuum: We Are Little Known And Less Understood page: 48
- InterTrade Awarded Navy Contract For Fenders page: 55
- Limitorque Introduces HR Series Line Of Pneumatic Valve Actuators page: 55
- The 93rd SNAME Annual Meeting— A Special Report page: 56
- New Company Formed, GCG Consultants page: 57
- Port Allen Marine Delivers Butadiene Tank Barge To Shell page: 66