ABB Marine To Supply $50-Million Power Package To Fincantieri
ABB Marine has signed a $50- million contract with the Merchant Shipbuilding Division of Fincantieri in Trieste, Italy, concerning the delivery of the electrical propulsion and power systems for three 50,000- grt cruise vessels under construction for Holland America Line (HAL).
Each vessel will carry 1,250 passengers, and will enter upper-market services in the Caribbean between 1992 and 1994.
Responsibility for providing the various components of the $50-million propulsion package will be divided between two of ABB's operations centers in Europe.
ABB Marine in Helsinki (ABB Stromberg Drives), which is responsible for the technical coordination, will provide two main generators, 7,650 kw each; three main generators of 6,150 kw each; two cycloconverter sets of 12 mw each with feeding transformers; and two main propulsion motors of 12 mw each.
ABB Marine in Italy, (ABB Industrial the legal consortium leader, will be supplying four air conditioning compressor motors of 1,000 kw each; two motor/generator sets, each 6.6 kv/450V, 937.5 kw; three thruster motors of 1,720 kw each; one main switchboard rated at 6.6 kv; an emergency generator with 750 kw output; plus a total of five distribution transformers. Three of these are rated at 6.6kv/450, 2,625 kw.
The other two are rated at 6.6 kv/ 450V/220V.
Over the past decade, cycloconverters driving synchronous motors have shown outstanding reliability on several icebreakers. In addition, orders have been received for similar propulsion systems for one Japanese (Crystal Harmony) and two U.S. cruise vessels (Fantasy and Ecstasy).
The M/S Fantasy was recently delivered to Miami for Carnival Cruise Lines; the Ecstasy is scheduled to be delivered next April.
For more information about ABB's available services, Circle 111 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from July 1990 issue
- Wartsila Diesel Announces Executive Appointments page: 10
- Chandris Celebrity's 'Horizon/ Built By Meyer Werft, Makes Her New York Debut page: 11
- Furuno Introduces New Autopilot, Compact, Lightweight Gyrocompass, And 10-Inch Color Video Sounder page: 11
- Radio Holland's Datamation: A Complete Integrated Ship Management System page: 13
- McDermott Awarded $27-Million Exxon Contract For Offshore Platform page: 13
- Avondale To Bid On Construction Of World's Largest Passenger Ship page: 14
- Singmarine Wins $16 Million Contract For New Chemical Tanker page: 15
- Hamilton Introduces Advanced Water Jet For Wide Range Of Vessels page: 16
- Halter Marine To Convert Supply Vessel For EPA Under $4.2-Million Pact page: 18
- Magnavox Introduces New Integrated GPS/Transit Satellite Navigation System page: 18
- Leevac Shipyards A w a r d ed Supply Boat Contract page: 19
- DIESEL POWER REVIEW page: 20
- MARINE LUBRICANTS page: 28
- U.S. Coast Guard Celebrates 200 Years Of Service page: 33
- Our Third Century page: 34
- Overview Of Coast Guard's Fiscal Year 1991 Request page: 36
- Willard Marine Continues Work With U.S. Coast Guard; Introduces SOLAS-Approved 18-Foot RIB page: 42
- Bollinger Receives $73.4-Million Modification To Build USCG Patrol Boats page: 42
- Morgan Crane Receives Order For Knucklebooms For Three Corvettes page: 43
- New Navy Report Outlines Potential Submarine Threat From Third World Nations page: 44
- US Navy Homeports Select Seaward Marine Fenders page: 44
- NORSHIPCO Completes Conversion of Crane Ship (T-ACS 9) For Navy page: 45
- Tano Marine Named Single System Vendor For T-AGS 45 page: 45
- Marinette Marine Launches Its Third MCM Vessel USS Patriot (MCM-7) page: 46
- Essex Machine Works Delivers New Steel Propeller Shafts For Coast Guard's 'Eagle' page: 48
- Viking Seminar Updates Skills of Service Representatives page: 48
- Global Marine Group Changes Company Name To GMG Systems, Inc. page: 53
- Robert Allan-Designed Hydrographic Survey Vessel Delivered By Allied Shipbuilders page: 54
- Aluminum Boats Constructing 140-Foot Dinner Yacht For Chicago page: 54
- Bender Awarded $3-Million Contract For Drill Rig Repair page: 55
- Cummins Diesels Power Cruise Vessel 'America' Delivered By Marine Builders page: 56
- ZF Introduces New Series Of Economical High-Horsepower Marine Transmissions page: 56
- $13-Million, Five-Boat Contract Completed By Moss Point Marine With Delivery Of Tugs To Jordan page: 58
- Deutz MWM Diesels To Power Four Harbor Tugs For Mexico page: 58
- Atlantic Marine Awarded $12.6-Million Contract To Build Three Sternwheel Dinner Vessels page: 59
- ABB Marine To Supply $50-Million Power Package To Fincantieri page: 59
- Blount Marine Delivers 192-Foot Dinner/Excursion Boat M / V Spirit Of Boston page: 60
- Canadian Government Report And New U.S. NOAA Administrator Publish Strong Swath Endorsements page: 61
- Master Marine Completes Repair, Maintenance On USCG Island Class Patrol Boats page: 62
- Trinity Marine To Build Three 220-Foot Supply Boats Under $15-Million Contract page: 62
- MTU-Powered High-Speed Catamaran, Built To New Flying Cat Design, Delivered By Kvaerner Fjellstrand page: 63
- COMSAT Expands Its Mobile Communications To New Ocean Region page: 63
- New Paint Factory For Sigma In Amsterdam page: 64
- Allied-Signal 'Spectra Shield' Panels For Marine Vessels Offer Maximum Ballistic Protection page: 64
- Textron Marine Systems Wins $6.5-Million Contract To Build Two SES Fireboats page: 65
- Congressional Conferees Near Compromise On Double-Hull Tanker Phase-In page: 66
- New Literature Available On Coffin Mechanical Seals For Turbo Pumps page: 67
- ABB Offers Eight-Page, Full-Color Brochure On Turbochargers page: 68
- Marco Shipyard Christens Fourth North Pacific Freezer Longliner page: 68
- Versatile Pacific Shipyards Uses N e w Launching Technique For Hydrographic Survey Ship page: 69
- L&C Associates Completes Deactivation Of M / V Cape Inscription page: 70