Newport News Lays Keel For USS Newport News (SSN 750)
Newport News Shipbuilding has laid the keel for its 17th Los Angeles class attack submarine, the Newport News (SSN 750). In a ceremony held recently at the shipyard, the keel was authenticated by Mrs. Nickey Adkins, assisted by Matron of Honor Mrs.
Mildred Duncan and Maid of Honor Diane Campbell.
The ship, whose name honors the rich Navy shipbuilding tradition of the Virginia city, is scheduled to be launched in 1986, coinciding with the shipyard's 100th anniversary.
Newport News Shipbuilding designed the Los Angeles class submarine, and also built the lead ship of the class. The Los Angeles class submarine has the most advanced anti-submarine warfare capabilities, and is an effective deterrent against both enemy submarines and surface ships.
When Newport News is delivered to the Navy in 1987, it will be 360 feet long, with a 33-foot beam and an underwater displacement of 6,900 tons.
Speakers for the keel ceremony included Edward J. Campbell, president and chief executive officer of the shipyard, Commodore Malcolm MacKinnon, the Navy's Supervisor of Shipbuilding at the yard, Newport News Mayor Joseph C. Ritchie, and U.S. Congressman Herbert H. Bateman.
Among the distinguished guests were Adm. Wesley L. McDonald, Commander in Chief Atlantic Fleet and Commander, Supreme Allied Command Atlantic; Vice Adm.
Kenneth M. Carr, Deputy and Chief of Staff, Commander in Chief Atlantic Fleet; and Commodore Guy H. Curtis III, Director, Attack Submarine Acquisition Program, Naval Sea Systems Command.
The shipyard currently has con- tracts to build eight attack submarines, and is building three Nimitz-class aircraft carriers.
Newport News Shipbuilding is the only yard capable of constructing the giant Nimitz-class carriers, three of which already are part of the Navy fleet.
For additional information on Newpr t News facilities, capabili- ties and services Circle 80 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from May 1984 issue
- Lucian Q. Moffitt, Inc. Acquired By BFGoodrich page: 4
- Ritter Joins NMS Shipyard Division As Sales Rep page: 5
- Free Color Brochure Introduces New Stal Refrigeration Plant page: 5
- Eastern Marine Awarded Contract To Construct Auto/Passenger Ferry page: 6
- Valmet Forms Subsidiary In Houston To Serve U.S. Offshore Industry page: 6
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Annual Dinner-Dance Scheduled For June 16 page: 6
- Marinette Marine's $7.1-Million Ship Erection Building Nears Completion page: 7
- Stewart & Stevenson Inc. Appointed Distributors For M W M Series 500 Engines page: 7
- Kone To Build Multipurpose Double-Boom Crane For Port Of Jacksonville page: 7
- Nickum & Spaulding Announces New Executive Appointments — Philip Spaulding Named Chairman page: 7
- New $27.9-Million NKS Plant In Mexico Will Supply Heavy Steel Forgings And Castings To Shipyards And Industry page: 8
- Color Brochure Offered Free From HITCO page: 8
- Newport News Lays Keel For USS Newport News (SSN 750) page: 8
- Marco Seattle Signs Contract To Build All-Steel Workboat page: 10
- Double Naming Ceremony Held At Far East Levingston Shipbuilding page: 10
- Volvo Penta Duoprop Now Available For Workboat Applications page: 11
- Delta Announces Three Appointments page: 12
- Rockwood Introduces New Ball Valve Line — Literature Available page: 12
- World's Biggest Syncrolift Now In Service At Todd's San Pedro Yard page: 12
- Diversified Capabilities Offered By Port Allen Marine Service page: 12
- Harry S. Ford Promoted To Vice President At Autronica page: 14
- Blackmer Pump Offers New Full-Line Catalog page: 14
- SNAME San Diego Section Hears Paper On Sheathing Hulls With Copper-Nickel page: 14
- Marine Safe Electronics Offers Free Literature On 'Fail-Safe' Line page: 14
- Mar A d Awards Cooperative Research Contract To Seaworthy page: 15
- Prock Appointed Vice President/General Manager For Foss Alaska Line page: 15
- Moss Point Marine Launches First Of Two Utility Boats For Argosy page: 15
- POSIDO MIA 5 14 page: 16
- 1984 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 16
- OTC Begins Study Of HP's Response To Wave Forces page: 19
- Hagglunds Cranes Ordered For Rapid Deployment Force MSC Vessels page: 20
- Isotta Fraschini S.p.A. Awarded Navy Contract page: 22
- Management Changes Announced By Hyundai page: 22
- Navigation & Communications Equipment page: 22
- Le Blanc Joins Moss Point Marine As Director Of Sales And Marketing page: 24
- Edo Awarded $11.4-Million Increase To Navy Contract For Sonar Modifications page: 24
- Ship Structure Committee Publishes Six Technical Reports page: 24
- Mueller Steam Specialty Introduces Basket Strainer — Literature Available page: 25
- Marine coatings & corrosion control page: 26
- PIMA Hosts New York Luncheon On Behalf Of British Shipbuilders page: 43
- Peter Goetz Appointed General Manager Of Electro Dynamic page: 43
- First Marathon Super 300 Jackup Now Drilling In Gulf Of Mexico page: 44
- Anixter Bros. Publishes New Buyers Guide Of Products For Business Communications page: 44
- U.S.-Based Repair Service Introduced by Cityvarvet AB page: 45
- Sternwheeler Landing Queen Delivered By Walker Marine Yard page: 46
- J.L. Konopasek Announces New Organization page: 46
- New Filter Media Offers Greater Protection Against Abrasive Wear page: 49
- New Non-Asbestos High- Temperature Valve Packing Developed By John Crane — Literature Available page: 49
- Krupp Atlas Elektronic Introduces Four New Advanced Radars page: 49
- Mueller Steam Specialty Introduces Duplex Strainers — Literature Available page: 49
- First Of Five RO/RO-Containerships Delivered To ACL By Kockums Yard page: 50
- Bulk Carrier Century Hope Delivered By Mitsui To Hong Kong Owner page: 50
- Saab Control Systems Ordered For Wilhelmsen Product Carriers page: 50
- New Emergency Marker Lights Introduced By ACR Electronics page: 52
- Seminar In New York Introduces New Heavy-Fuel M.A.N.-B&W Engine page: 53
- Hyundai Shipyard Delivers Three Barber Blue Sea Line RO/ROs page: 54
- High-Speed Catamaran Crewboat Delivered By Fjellstrand page: 55
- Omnipure Sanitation Devices Certified By Denmark — Literature Available page: 60
- Foster Wheeler Names Somerville Director-Equipment Business Development page: 61
- Four Executive Promotions Announced By Rosenblatt page: 61
- PBM Introduces New Line Of Valve Manifolds — Literature Available page: 67
- U.S. Navy Solicits Suggestions For Improving Pump Specification page: 67
- New Rope Catalog Available From Samson page: 67