POSIDO MIA 5 14
— A Preview — Piraeus, Greece — June 4-9 Representatives of the world's maritime industries will come together in Piraeus, Greece for the Posidonia International Shipping Exhibition to be held June 4 through 9, 1984.
At the last Posidonia Exhibition in 1982, no fewer than 900 exhibitors from 45 countries took part, the highest number in the exhibition's 15 year history. In 1984, a similar number of exhibitors are expected to participate.
Posidonia provides a meeting point for many of the leading figures in the maritime world and the thousands of visitors it attracts include some of the most influential voices in shipping.
The one-day Posidonia Forum, run in conjunction with the weeklong Exhibition, provides a platform from which their voices may be heard, and an opportunity for a meeting of minds on some of the key issues with which the maritime industries are concerned.
Opportunities for discussion on a less formal basis abound, not only on the exhibition stands but also on the many receptions given by individual exhibitors.
Among them, the exhibitors represent every facet of the marine industries, from shipbuilding and marine equipment manufacture to shipbroking, insurance and banking.
Most of the leading maritime countries take nationally organized stands at Posidonia. This year, Italy and Korea join Brazil, Denmark, the Federal Republic of Germany, Finland, France, the German Democratic Republic, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Singapore, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
By tradition, the Exhibition is formally opened by the Greek Minister of Mercantile Marine. At Posidonia '82, shipping ministers from six other maritime nations were also present and a similar representation is expected this year.
Posidonia '84 will be opened by the present Minister, George Katsifaras, on Monday, June 4. The Exhibition will be open daily until Saturday, June 9. The Forum will take place on Friday, June 8, at the nearby Eugenides Foundation.
The Posidonia International Shipping Exhibition is sponsored by the Greek Ministry of Mercantile Marine, the Municipality of Piraeus, the Union of Greek Shipowners, the Greek Chamber of Shipping, the Association of Shipowners of Greek Passenger Ships, and the London-based Greek Shipping Co-operation Committee.
As the list of exhibitors for Posidonia '84 was incomplete at press time, the following is a list of exhibitors from the previous Posidonia.
Other stories from May 1984 issue
- Lucian Q. Moffitt, Inc. Acquired By BFGoodrich page: 4
- Ritter Joins NMS Shipyard Division As Sales Rep page: 5
- Free Color Brochure Introduces New Stal Refrigeration Plant page: 5
- Eastern Marine Awarded Contract To Construct Auto/Passenger Ferry page: 6
- Valmet Forms Subsidiary In Houston To Serve U.S. Offshore Industry page: 6
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Annual Dinner-Dance Scheduled For June 16 page: 6
- Marinette Marine's $7.1-Million Ship Erection Building Nears Completion page: 7
- Stewart & Stevenson Inc. Appointed Distributors For M W M Series 500 Engines page: 7
- Kone To Build Multipurpose Double-Boom Crane For Port Of Jacksonville page: 7
- Nickum & Spaulding Announces New Executive Appointments — Philip Spaulding Named Chairman page: 7
- New $27.9-Million NKS Plant In Mexico Will Supply Heavy Steel Forgings And Castings To Shipyards And Industry page: 8
- Color Brochure Offered Free From HITCO page: 8
- Newport News Lays Keel For USS Newport News (SSN 750) page: 8
- Marco Seattle Signs Contract To Build All-Steel Workboat page: 10
- Double Naming Ceremony Held At Far East Levingston Shipbuilding page: 10
- Volvo Penta Duoprop Now Available For Workboat Applications page: 11
- Delta Announces Three Appointments page: 12
- Rockwood Introduces New Ball Valve Line — Literature Available page: 12
- World's Biggest Syncrolift Now In Service At Todd's San Pedro Yard page: 12
- Diversified Capabilities Offered By Port Allen Marine Service page: 12
- Harry S. Ford Promoted To Vice President At Autronica page: 14
- Blackmer Pump Offers New Full-Line Catalog page: 14
- SNAME San Diego Section Hears Paper On Sheathing Hulls With Copper-Nickel page: 14
- Marine Safe Electronics Offers Free Literature On 'Fail-Safe' Line page: 14
- Mar A d Awards Cooperative Research Contract To Seaworthy page: 15
- Prock Appointed Vice President/General Manager For Foss Alaska Line page: 15
- Moss Point Marine Launches First Of Two Utility Boats For Argosy page: 15
- POSIDO MIA 5 14 page: 16
- 1984 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 16
- OTC Begins Study Of HP's Response To Wave Forces page: 19
- Hagglunds Cranes Ordered For Rapid Deployment Force MSC Vessels page: 20
- Isotta Fraschini S.p.A. Awarded Navy Contract page: 22
- Management Changes Announced By Hyundai page: 22
- Navigation & Communications Equipment page: 22
- Le Blanc Joins Moss Point Marine As Director Of Sales And Marketing page: 24
- Edo Awarded $11.4-Million Increase To Navy Contract For Sonar Modifications page: 24
- Ship Structure Committee Publishes Six Technical Reports page: 24
- Mueller Steam Specialty Introduces Basket Strainer — Literature Available page: 25
- Marine coatings & corrosion control page: 26
- PIMA Hosts New York Luncheon On Behalf Of British Shipbuilders page: 43
- Peter Goetz Appointed General Manager Of Electro Dynamic page: 43
- First Marathon Super 300 Jackup Now Drilling In Gulf Of Mexico page: 44
- Anixter Bros. Publishes New Buyers Guide Of Products For Business Communications page: 44
- U.S.-Based Repair Service Introduced by Cityvarvet AB page: 45
- Sternwheeler Landing Queen Delivered By Walker Marine Yard page: 46
- J.L. Konopasek Announces New Organization page: 46
- New Filter Media Offers Greater Protection Against Abrasive Wear page: 49
- New Non-Asbestos High- Temperature Valve Packing Developed By John Crane — Literature Available page: 49
- Krupp Atlas Elektronic Introduces Four New Advanced Radars page: 49
- Mueller Steam Specialty Introduces Duplex Strainers — Literature Available page: 49
- First Of Five RO/RO-Containerships Delivered To ACL By Kockums Yard page: 50
- Bulk Carrier Century Hope Delivered By Mitsui To Hong Kong Owner page: 50
- Saab Control Systems Ordered For Wilhelmsen Product Carriers page: 50
- New Emergency Marker Lights Introduced By ACR Electronics page: 52
- Seminar In New York Introduces New Heavy-Fuel M.A.N.-B&W Engine page: 53
- Hyundai Shipyard Delivers Three Barber Blue Sea Line RO/ROs page: 54
- High-Speed Catamaran Crewboat Delivered By Fjellstrand page: 55
- Omnipure Sanitation Devices Certified By Denmark — Literature Available page: 60
- Foster Wheeler Names Somerville Director-Equipment Business Development page: 61
- Four Executive Promotions Announced By Rosenblatt page: 61
- PBM Introduces New Line Of Valve Manifolds — Literature Available page: 67
- U.S. Navy Solicits Suggestions For Improving Pump Specification page: 67
- New Rope Catalog Available From Samson page: 67