Ship Structure Committee Publishes Six Technical Reports
The Ship Structure Committee recently published six new technical reports which are available free of charge until copies run out.
After which, the reports will be available from the National Technical Information Service (NTIS).
The reports are: SSC-314, "Pressure Distribution on Models of the SL-7 Containership and Great Lakes Bulk Carrier S.J. Cort in Waves," presents data from various pressure taps on the respec- tive ship models. A future report will compare computer calculations with full-scale and model test results.
SSC-315, "Fatigue Considerations in View of Measured Load Spectra," documents experimental work, including data analysis, used in assessing the characteristics of fatigue crack propagation under load spectra typical of those experienced by ships at sea. Such information was obtained from the SL-7 containership instrumentation program. Results of these random loadings are compared with constant amplitude loadings.
SSC-316, "Ship Structure Committee Long Range Research Plan," outlines the research needed between now and the year 2000 to be prepared to meet the demands on the marine industry by that time.
A listing of necessary project areas is included.
SSC-318, "Fatigue Characterization of Fabricated Ship Details for Design," presents a fatigue design procedure for ship details that should help to eliminate cracks in details. It is an important part of the Ship Structure Committee's overall program to provide information on sound and economical details for ship structures.
SSC-320, "A Study of Extreme Waves and their effects on Ship Structures." This report represents one of the technical community's earliest efforts to describe, quantify, catalogue and assess the characteristics of extreme waves.
It is intended that future efforts in this area will focus on recreating the various types of extreme waves in model tanks in order that each ship design could be evaluated for its own response.
"Ship Structure Committee Publications— A Special Bibliography." This report documents the reports published by the Ship Structure Committee through 1981 and gives a brief description of each.
For copies of these reports or further information, contact Lt.
Comdr. David B. Anderson, Secretary, Ship Structure Committee, Coast Guard Headquarters (GMTH- 4), Washington, D.C. 20593.
SSC-317 and SSC-319 will be published at a later date.
Other stories from May 1984 issue
- Lucian Q. Moffitt, Inc. Acquired By BFGoodrich page: 4
- Ritter Joins NMS Shipyard Division As Sales Rep page: 5
- Free Color Brochure Introduces New Stal Refrigeration Plant page: 5
- Eastern Marine Awarded Contract To Construct Auto/Passenger Ferry page: 6
- Valmet Forms Subsidiary In Houston To Serve U.S. Offshore Industry page: 6
- SNAME Philadelphia Section Annual Dinner-Dance Scheduled For June 16 page: 6
- Marinette Marine's $7.1-Million Ship Erection Building Nears Completion page: 7
- Stewart & Stevenson Inc. Appointed Distributors For M W M Series 500 Engines page: 7
- Kone To Build Multipurpose Double-Boom Crane For Port Of Jacksonville page: 7
- Nickum & Spaulding Announces New Executive Appointments — Philip Spaulding Named Chairman page: 7
- New $27.9-Million NKS Plant In Mexico Will Supply Heavy Steel Forgings And Castings To Shipyards And Industry page: 8
- Color Brochure Offered Free From HITCO page: 8
- Newport News Lays Keel For USS Newport News (SSN 750) page: 8
- Marco Seattle Signs Contract To Build All-Steel Workboat page: 10
- Double Naming Ceremony Held At Far East Levingston Shipbuilding page: 10
- Volvo Penta Duoprop Now Available For Workboat Applications page: 11
- Delta Announces Three Appointments page: 12
- Rockwood Introduces New Ball Valve Line — Literature Available page: 12
- World's Biggest Syncrolift Now In Service At Todd's San Pedro Yard page: 12
- Diversified Capabilities Offered By Port Allen Marine Service page: 12
- Harry S. Ford Promoted To Vice President At Autronica page: 14
- Blackmer Pump Offers New Full-Line Catalog page: 14
- SNAME San Diego Section Hears Paper On Sheathing Hulls With Copper-Nickel page: 14
- Marine Safe Electronics Offers Free Literature On 'Fail-Safe' Line page: 14
- Mar A d Awards Cooperative Research Contract To Seaworthy page: 15
- Prock Appointed Vice President/General Manager For Foss Alaska Line page: 15
- Moss Point Marine Launches First Of Two Utility Boats For Argosy page: 15
- POSIDO MIA 5 14 page: 16
- 1984 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 16
- OTC Begins Study Of HP's Response To Wave Forces page: 19
- Hagglunds Cranes Ordered For Rapid Deployment Force MSC Vessels page: 20
- Isotta Fraschini S.p.A. Awarded Navy Contract page: 22
- Management Changes Announced By Hyundai page: 22
- Navigation & Communications Equipment page: 22
- Le Blanc Joins Moss Point Marine As Director Of Sales And Marketing page: 24
- Edo Awarded $11.4-Million Increase To Navy Contract For Sonar Modifications page: 24
- Ship Structure Committee Publishes Six Technical Reports page: 24
- Mueller Steam Specialty Introduces Basket Strainer — Literature Available page: 25
- Marine coatings & corrosion control page: 26
- PIMA Hosts New York Luncheon On Behalf Of British Shipbuilders page: 43
- Peter Goetz Appointed General Manager Of Electro Dynamic page: 43
- First Marathon Super 300 Jackup Now Drilling In Gulf Of Mexico page: 44
- Anixter Bros. Publishes New Buyers Guide Of Products For Business Communications page: 44
- U.S.-Based Repair Service Introduced by Cityvarvet AB page: 45
- Sternwheeler Landing Queen Delivered By Walker Marine Yard page: 46
- J.L. Konopasek Announces New Organization page: 46
- New Filter Media Offers Greater Protection Against Abrasive Wear page: 49
- New Non-Asbestos High- Temperature Valve Packing Developed By John Crane — Literature Available page: 49
- Krupp Atlas Elektronic Introduces Four New Advanced Radars page: 49
- Mueller Steam Specialty Introduces Duplex Strainers — Literature Available page: 49
- First Of Five RO/RO-Containerships Delivered To ACL By Kockums Yard page: 50
- Bulk Carrier Century Hope Delivered By Mitsui To Hong Kong Owner page: 50
- Saab Control Systems Ordered For Wilhelmsen Product Carriers page: 50
- New Emergency Marker Lights Introduced By ACR Electronics page: 52
- Seminar In New York Introduces New Heavy-Fuel M.A.N.-B&W Engine page: 53
- Hyundai Shipyard Delivers Three Barber Blue Sea Line RO/ROs page: 54
- High-Speed Catamaran Crewboat Delivered By Fjellstrand page: 55
- Omnipure Sanitation Devices Certified By Denmark — Literature Available page: 60
- Foster Wheeler Names Somerville Director-Equipment Business Development page: 61
- Four Executive Promotions Announced By Rosenblatt page: 61
- PBM Introduces New Line Of Valve Manifolds — Literature Available page: 67
- U.S. Navy Solicits Suggestions For Improving Pump Specification page: 67
- New Rope Catalog Available From Samson page: 67