Gladding-Hearn Delivers Cape Fear Pilot Boat
Gladding-Hearn Shipbuilding, The Duclos Corporation has delivered a new pilot boat, Cape Fear Pilot II, to the Wilmington-Cape Fear Pilots Association.
The new launch, which shuttles pilots nine miles from Southport, N.C.
to ships entering the Cape Fear River en route to the port of Wilmington, works alongside another pilot boat built by the Somerset, Mass. yard in 1974.
Measuring 52 ft. (15.8 m), the all-aluminum boat was designed by C. Raymond Hunt Associates of Boston and Gladding Hearn. It has a 17 ft. (5.1 m) beam and draws 5 ft. (1.5 m). The vessel is powered by twin Caterpillar diesel engines, each rated for 480 bhp at 2,100 rpm for a top speed of 24 knots. The engines turn the five-blade Hall & Stavaert bronze propellers via Twin Disc reverse/reduction gears. The 10 kW Northern Lights genset, is cooled by a split-pipe keel cooler to prevent marine growth from fouling the heat exchanger.
Fiberglass/lead acoustical insulation is installed overhead, under the deck and against the engine-room bulkheads - reducing onboard noise to less than 80 Dba at cruising speed.
According to its designer, Cape Fear Pilot II incorporates recent subtle changes and improvements to Ray Hunt's deep-V hull design as it was first adapted for pilot service in 1978.
Circle 34 on Reader Service Card www.maritimereporterinfo.com
Other stories from August 2001 issue
- First Wove Marine Files Reorganization Plan page: 36A
- Danish Contingent Strong At OE2001 page: 36C
- Containership Volume To Slow page: 36D
- Hempel Celebrates 50 Years page: 36G
- SSPC 2001 Set For November in Atlanta page: 36E
- Janet M. McAllister Welcomed To NY page: 4
- Reefership Within A Containership page: 8
- Innovation on the fjords page: 9
- Shipping Internet: Where next? page: 12
- Mahachai Dockyard: Freezers for Southern Waters page: 14
- Rodriquez Cantieri Navali Delivers Newest Fast Ferry page: 14
- Elliott Bay Develops Eco-Tourism Vessel page: 15
- Bollinger Delivers 145-ft. Supply/Utility Boat To Bordelon page: 16
- Gladding-Hearn Delivers Cape Fear Pilot Boat page: 18
- Shipbuilding R&D Supported page: 19
- Top Navy Officer Supports DD-21 page: 21
- Bollinger Incat USA - Marking Its Territory page: 24
- Ready to Burn: Fast Ferry Market Looks Good page: 27
- Palmer Johnson Teams Up With Atlantic Dry Dock For SuperYacht Refit Facility page: 29
- U.S. Report America's Cruise Line Faces Delivery Delays, Job Cuts page: 30
- USN Confident Of Raising Sunken Fishing Vessel page: 31
- Detyens Concludes Largest U.S. Conversion page: 32
- IZAR Lands FPSO Order page: 35
- ABB's Compact Pod Makes Mark In $42M Deal page: 35
- Offshore Inland: Poised To Pounce On Offshore Upturn page: 36
- Izar Ferrol Repairs Eight Vessels At Once page: 38
- Loose Cable Contributed To Crane Collapse page: 40
- Raising the Standard for Bulk Carrier Cranes page: 41
- Belotti Handling Reinvents The Reach Stacker Machine page: 41
- Chartco: The Best of Both Worlds page: 42
- U.S. ENC Availability Starts To Gain Speed page: 42
- Kelvin Hughes Bridge Chosen For Queen Mary 2 page: 45
- Raytheon To Supply T45 With IBS, Nav Package page: 46
- RIB Technology Makes Stronger, Faster Boats page: 49
- Zodiac: From Flying Machines to RIBs page: 51
- Willard Marine, MetalCraft Inc. Launch Hybrid Aluminum/FRP RIB page: 52
- Type 45 Destroyer Build Plans Modified page: 53
- UK Manufacturers Seek To Forge New Partnerships page: 54