First I n t e r n a t i o n a l Conference On Ice Technology Held At M IT
The First International Conference on Ice Technology (ITC 86) was held on the campus of Massachusetts Institute of Technology, June 10-12 this year. The conference was preceded and followed by Tutorials on June 9 and June 13. On the morning of June 9, the session was presented by Dr. A.M. Vinogradov of the University of Calgary on Computational Methods in Ice Mechanics, with two separate lectures on (1) Constitutive Modeling of Ice, and (2) Computational Methods in the Deformation Analysis of Floating Ice Sheets. During the afternoon session, Peter G. Noble of the Marine Technology Corporation, Houston, presented two lectures on Model Testing and Instrumentation Techniques.
The conference was opened by Rear Adm. Robert L. Johanson, commander of the First Coast Guard District, Boston, who was introduced by Prof. Francis T.
Ogilvie, head of the Department of Ocean Enginneering at MIT.
This was followed by a Keynote Address by Dr. George Ashton, a scientist from the U.S. Army Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratories, on Perspectives in Ice Technology.
The plenary sessions then began, with opening remarks by Dr. Carlos A. Brebbia, chairman of the Computational Mechanics Institute, the sponsoring organization of ITC 86. He also took the opportunity to present a plaque to Prof. J.J.
Connor of the Department of Civil Engineering at MIT in recognition of contributions to advances in engineering mechanics.
A total of 44 papers were presented during the three-day meeting by authors from 10 countries.
The technical sessions were devoted to properties of ice, ice modeling, ice experiments and field tests, vessels in ice, structures in ice, navigation in ice, ice management, and transportation.
At a film evening on June 10, delegates were able to participate in a narrated video presentation by Prof. Douglas Tolderlund of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, dealing with the operation of USCG Polar Class icebreakers in the Arctic and Antarctic regions. There was also a short movie presented by Prof. Per Tryde of the Technical University of Denmark on the NIMBUS 7 multi- channel microwave radiometer image of the formation of ice in the East Greenland current (1978-79).
The latter part of the final day was devoted to a Panel Session on Arctic LNG—Present Position and Future Prospects. Arthur G.
Berndt of Energy Transportation Corporation, New York, acted as moderator. Short techno-economic presentations were given by R.D.
Golf of Sohio Petroleum Company on Technical and Economic Trends in Offshore Oil and Gas Exploration in the Arctic; by J.K.S. Loh of Gulf Canada Resources, Calgary, on Arctic LNG Production; and by R.
Dick of Melville Shipping Ltd. on Transportation of Arctic LNG. This session was followed by a lively question and answer period.
The conference was closed by Dr.
T.K.S. Murthy, consultant to the Computational Mechanics Institute, who was responsible for the organization of the conference from the initiation of arrangements in March 1984 to its conclusion.
Guest speaker at the banquet held June 11 at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Cambridge was Capt. Joseph Wubbold, chief of ice operations in the U.S. Coast Guard.
The post-conference tutorial on June 13 was devoted to Vessels and Structures in Ice, with lectures by Arno Keinonen of AKAC Inc. in Calgary, and Prof. Ben C. Gerwick of the University of California at Berkeley.
Proceedings of the Conference are available in hard-cover binding from Computational Mechanics Publications, Ashurst Lodge, Ashurst, Southampton, S04 2AA, England; price is $150 per copy.
Other stories from July 15, 1986 issue
- FlightSafety Orders Shiphandling Simulator From Tracor Hydronautics page: 4
- Valmet And Wtirtsilti To Merge Shipbuilding Operations In One Group page: 5
- Dillingham Restructures West Coast Operations— Key Executives Named page: 5
- Falmouth Shiprepair Moves Ahead Again With Major N e w Agreement page: 6
- Nippon Kokan To Market Titanium-Clad Steel Plate Produced By Hot Rolling page: 6
- Freeport Shipbuilding Delivers Passenger Vessel To Nassau Cruises page: 7
- Franklin Promoted To Vice President At McDermott Marine page: 7
- U.S. NAVY SHIP MAINTENANCE AND MODERNIZATION page: 8
- MAJOR NAVY CONTRACTS page: 11
- DIESEL POWER REVIEW page: 18
- M e y e r W e r f t Y a r d Delivers Luxury Cruise Ship ' H o m e r i c ' To H o m e Lines page: 30
- Coast M a r i n e Celebrates 4 0 - Y e a r A n n i v e r s a r y W i th Successful Ladder Drop Test page: 30
- Bailey Announces Sales Management Appointments page: 31
- Free Brochure Details Delaval's OEM Overhaul Of U.S. Navy Equipment page: 31
- S N A M E Lakes/Rivers Section Holds Spring M e e t i n g In Louisville page: 32
- S t a n d a r d - C : Low-Cost Satellite Communications Terminal page: 32
- Port Of Portland Reports Soaring Imports Of Cars From Japan And Korea page: 34
- Miller Electric Offers New Diesel Welding Generator page: 34
- S.S. White Offers Free Brochure On Flexible Reach Rods page: 35
- NASSCO Appoints Janice S. Shanklin page: 35
- Lorenz, Trotter And Waldorf Named To Zapata Board Of Directors page: 35
- Sea-Land Unit Restructured — B a k e r Appointed Vice Chairman And COO page: 36
- Goltens Uses Diversity To Seek New Markets page: 36
- ACBL Rechristens Three N e w l y Acquired River Towboats page: 36
- Marathon LeTourneau Awarded Contract For Platform Rig Project page: 36
- MTCR Introduces N e w Shipboard E n g i n e e r i n g T r a i n i n g Systems page: 37
- Sanborn Named President Of Sonat Marine Inc. page: 38
- Sperry Introduces A d v a n c ed S a t e l l i t e Communicators page: 38
- W a r t s i l a Diesel Introduces A N e w Compact V 8 Engine page: 39
- Sembawang Diversifies Into Salvage And Towing page: 39
- Cat Pumps Introduces Corrosion-Resistant Line page: 39
- Report O n The N e w M a g n a v ox GPS Positioning & N a v i g a t i o n System page: 40
- Tenn-Tom Development Conference Scheduled For October 22-24 In Knoxville page: 40
- Pekka Laine Appointed Managing Director Of New Wartsila/Valmet Company page: 40
- Combustion Engineering A w a r d ed $ 7 M i l l i o n In N a v y Boiler Contracts page: 41
- Improved TV Antenna From Naval Electronics page: 41
- Marathon LeTourneau Awarded Contract For Platform Rig Project page: 41
- Honda Will Use U.S.-Flag Central Gulf Lines Ship To Transport Cars To U.S. page: 41
- 9.7-Million Contract Awarded Bender For USS Pensacola Overhaul page: 41
- Motor Insulation System M e e t s N a v y Specifications page: 42
- MSC To Procure Additional Ships For Ready Reserve Force page: 42
- Phillips Reassigns Three In Supply, Transportation page: 43
- Radio H o l l a n d USA Announces N ew T h r a n e & Thrane Radiotelex Unit page: 43
- Nicor Installs Advanced Management System Aboard Supply Boat page: 43
- Grctndi Motori A l r e a d y Has Orders For Its N e w Long-Stroke M e d i u m - S p e e d Diesel page: 44
- National AirOil Introduces Portable Burner Ignitor page: 45
- Royal Caribbean Orders Three More Vessels page: 45
- M A R I N E LUBRICANTS MEETING T H E D E M A N D S OF N EW A N D U P G R A D E D DIESELS page: 46
- ANADAC Awarded Navy Support Services Contracts Totaling $4 Million page: 49
- N e w Rental Program For M a g n a v o x Equipment O f f e r s W i d e Selection page: 49
- Allison I m p l e m e n t s Performance, M a i n t e n a n c e , Reliability Improvements In M a r i n e Gas Turbines page: 50
- Free 12-Page Brochure On MARPAC Ball Valves From Mark Controls page: 51
- Integrated Ship Electronic Systems page: 52
- COMAR Offers Free Catalog On N e w Marine Products page: 53
- Powell Appointed Executive VP And General Manager, Bay Shipbuilding Corp page: 53
- Unaflex Introduces New Molded Expansion Joints page: 53
- Caterpillar Tractor Co. Renamed Caterpillar Inc. page: 53
- Russellstoll Offers Plugs, Receptacles And Connectors For Cord S e t s page: 54
- Action Threaded Products Offers 20-Page Color Brochure On Non-Corrosive Fasteners page: 54
- Valmet Automation Gets Order For Eight Damatic Systems From Yugoslavia page: 55
- Coastal States Trading Announces Personnel Changes page: 58
- Bailey Offers Custom Computer-Designed Refrigeration page: 58
- Gould Opens N e w Facilities For Circuit Breaker Repair, Overhaul page: 58
- MacGregor-Navire Access Gear Ordered For Vehicle Carriers Building In People's Republic page: 58
- Marine Travelift Hoists Now Feature Four-Wheel Drive page: 61
- Rockwell-Collins Awarded Contract To Supply Data Links For Spanish Navy page: 62
- American Ship Building To Enter Hawaiian Cruise Ship Trade page: 62
- First I n t e r n a t i o n a l Conference On Ice Technology Held At M IT page: 67
- Verolme To Build Two Corvettes For $50 Million For Brazilian Navy page: 67