Bender Shipbuilding Delivers Fish Processing Vessel 'Seattle Enterprise'
Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co., Inc. of Mobile, Ala., has completed a major reconstruction of a fish processing vessel for Arctic Alaska Fisheries Corporation of Seattle.
The redesigned Seattle Enterprise is one of only four U.S. vessels capable at sea of transforming fish, primarily Alaskan pollock, into lowcholesterol fish paste (surimi), used to make imitation crab meat, shrimp and other products.
Originally a 220-foot steel-hull boat used for offshore oil and gas research, the Seattle Enterprise will be employed primarily for fishing and surimi production in the waters of the Pacific Northwest.
With the assistance of a team of maritime professionals, including Arctic Alaska chairman of the board Francis Miller, Bender's in-house engineering and design group severed the ship at its midsection and inserted a 50-foot midbody to add a main fish net deck, processing deck, freezer compartments and freshwater processing area. The converted Seattle Enterprise now measures 270 feet from bow to stern with a 44-foot beam.
The vessel is also capable of producing fish fillets for the domestic market, or headed and gutted fish for the Japanese market.
Arctic Alaska owns and operates one of the largest American-owned catching and at-sea processing fleets in the North Pacific. The Seattle Enterprise, manned by a crew of 50, will become the largest catcher/processor in the company's fleet when it is placed into service this month.
The Seattle Enterprise is equipped with a 47,000-cubic-foot freezer cargo hold and has the capacity to make 104,000 gallons of fresh water per day. The vessel's two main engines, 1,950 hp each, turn two 120- inch controllable pitch propellers inside kort nozzles and move the ship at 13 knots. Fuel capacity is 140,000 gallons. Four generators operate the ship's processing plant and crew facilities.
Founded in 1923, Bender is one of the largest builders of steel-hull fishing vessels in the world. The Seattle Enterprise is the ninth fishing processor boat delivered by the company for use in the North Pacific.
The company also manufactures a variety of other boats ranging from passenger vessels to workboats and tugs. Bender is a full-service yard with complete drydock and repair facilities.
For free literature giving com- plete details on the facilities and capabilities of Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Co., Circle 88 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from June 1988 issue
- Castrol Offers Free 56-Page Lube Oil Guide & World Service Directory page: 6
- ODECO's Hugh J. Kelly Elected Chairman Of NOIA At 16th Annual Meeting page: 7
- $4.3 Million To Peterson Builders To Administer Navy Parts Acquisition page: 8
- John Kristen Joins Ingram Barge Company page: 10
- Service Marine Christens 600-Passenger Paddlewheeler For Heritage Cruise Lines page: 10
- World's Largest Railway/Freight Ferry Launched By Seebeckwerft page: 11
- NASSCO Announces Production Management Realignment page: 11
- SPD Technologies Negotiating To Acquire Navy Division Of Brown Boveri Power Equipment Inc. page: 11
- Munson Manufacturing Launches Alaskan Excursion Boat For Holland America-Westours page: 12
- MSC Awards Contracts Totaling $154.2 Million page: 14
- 1,000th Golar Marine Incinerator To Be Installed page: 14
- Skuld Undergoes Major Changes In Structure page: 15
- Report 'Genesis System' Can Produce Record Fuel Savings For Vessel Owners page: 16
- Bailey Controls Completes Installation Of N e w Flow Calibration Laboratory page: 16
- Houma Fabricators A w a r d e d Contract For Vehicle-Passenger Ferry page: 17
- Brochure Available On N e w Sound Absorption Material From Soundcoat page: 18
- John M. Stebbins Named VP, Sales And Marketing Of Alco Power Inc. page: 18
- Gladding-Hearn Receives Order For INCAT-Design Passenger Ferry For N e w York Commuter Service page: 20
- SPD Technologies Names Biancamano Manager, International Marketing page: 20
- Intertek Offers Free Eight-Page Full-Color Brochure On Services page: 21
- Blount Christens 'Spirit Of Chicago' —7th Luxury Dinner Vessel In 'Spirit' Line For Cruise International page: 22
- Marathon LeTourneau Introduces New GulfKing Class Jackup For Gulf Of Mexico page: 23
- THE $34-BILLION ANNUAL U.S. NAVY MARKET page: 24
- SHIPBUILDING AND REPAIR IN U.S. SHIPYARDS page: 40
- The Tug And Barge Industry Provides A Wealth Of Benefits To American Consumers page: 44
- BARGE INDUSTRY WAITS FOR CONGRESSIONAL ACTION ON HIGHWAY DIESEL TAX page: 44
- REVIEW AND OUTLOOK page: 62
- World Shipbuilding page: 64
- Cummins-Powered Paddlewheeler Delivered By Superior Boat Works page: 76
- Leslie Controls Announces DLO-1 Series 80 Valves page: 77
- Aeroquip Offers Hydraulic Troubleshooting Bulletin page: 77
- HDW Christens Two Containerships For American President Lines page: 78
- Bender Shipbuilding Delivers Fish Processing Vessel 'Seattle Enterprise' page: 78
- DEFCO Offers Free Literature On Diesel Products And Services page: 79
- Waugh Offers Literature On Head Modules And TNF Joiner Systems page: 79
- Electrocatalytic Acquires DEM Cell Technology page: 80
- McElroy Offers Free 47-Page Brochure On Deck Machinery page: 80
- Indicator Switch From Nupro Connects To Air Actuated Bellows Valves page: 81
- Spare Parts Amendment Passes House page: 81
- Shipyard 'Pride Program' Instituted At PSRY page: 82
- Ward Offers Brochure On Manufacture Of Marine Components page: 82
- Conrad Industries Delivers 650-Ton-Capacity Drydock To French West Indies page: 83
- Sensitive Regulator From Circle Seal Assures Accuracy For Corrosive Or Ultra-Pure Fluids page: 84
- Watercom Offers Extra Convenience Of Fax Machine Message Transmission page: 84
- Simrad Receives Canadian Contract page: 85
- Houston Ship Repair Busy With Work page: 86
- Stewart & Stevenson Expands Diesel Engine Sales/Service Network page: 88
- Sperry Marine Awarded Submarine Navigation Radar Contract page: 89
- Rexroth Introduces N ew Hydraulic Radial Piston Motor page: 89
- Trimble Introduces NavGraphic Loran Track Plotter, And New Digital Version Of 10X Loran page: 90
- Conrad Industries Sees Signs Of Optimism In Offshore Industry page: 90
- SPD Technologies Names Larry Colangelo Senior VP page: 91
- Moss Point Marine Delivers Second Of Four Army Landing Craft page: 92
- Bath Iron Works Launches Guided Missile Cruiser 'Normandy' page: 92
- PetroCom Completes First C e l l u l a r / S a t e l l i te Phone Service in Gulf Of Mexico page: 93
- Joseph Le Blanc Jr. Retires From Trinity Marine Group page: 93
- Derecktor Shipyard Lays Keel For First Of Two Tugboats For U.S. Army page: 94
- Wartsila Diesel Presents Paper At ASTM Symposium page: 94
- Hyde Offers Independent Power Unit Systems To Meet SOLAS Requirements page: 95
- SKF Introduces Keyless Bushing; Will Market Nilos Rings In U.S. page: 95
- McDermott Shipyard Delivers 1,475-Passenger Ferry page: 96
- M o n A r k ' s Workboat Division Delivers 28-Foot Patrol Boat page: 97
- Raytheon Marketing New Electromagnetic Speedlog Series page: 98
- Call For Papers For American Welding Society's 70th Annual Convention page: 99
- COMSAT A n d MCI Sign Interconnection Agreement page: 100
- N e w 138-Page Level And Flow Sensor Catalog O f f e r e d Free By GEMS page: 100
- Gems Offers 24-Page Catalog Featuring Continuous Liquid Level Indicating Systems page: 110
- Crew And Supply Boat Conversion Can Be A Profitable Venture page: 113
- Tom Bunyan, Inventor Of 'Pilgrim' Products Marketed By Mapeco, Honored By Queen Elizabeth page: 114
- Comsat Announces SafetyNet Service For Ships At Sea page: 115
- N e w Class DBOY-2 Valve Line N o w Available From Leslie Controls, Ltd. page: 115