Stewart & Stevenson Expands Diesel Engine Sales/Service Network
Named Exclusive Distributor Of EMD Engines In 10-State Area, Mexico And Central America Stewart & Stevenson Services, Inc., Houston, Texas, recently announced that the firm has been appointed the exclusive distributor for General Motors Electro-Motive Diesel (EMD) engines in a 10-state area, as well as Mexico and Central America. In a second announcement, the company also outlined plans for a major expansion of its marine and oil industry engine sales and service operation in southern Louisiana.
According to C. James Stewart II, chairman of the board of Stewart & Stevenson, the company has been appointed the exclusive distributor for General Motors Electro-Motive Diesel (EMD) engines in a 10-state area along the western Gulf of Mexico and in the Rocky Mountain area as well as throughout Mexico and Central America. Mr. Stewart also referred to the company's long association with General Motors Diesel engines and noted Stewart & Stevenson's extensive experience in building equipment powered by EMD engines and as a specialist in complete EMD engine repair and overhaul.
"This distributorship opens a whole new era in our capabilities and services for both domestic and international customers," said Mr.
The territory includes the states and coastal waters of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, and encompasses a large portion of the Mississippi River. Other states in the d i s t r i b u t o r s h i p include: Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Tennessee, as well as all of Mexico and Central America.
In addition to the distribution, Stewart & Stevenson will continue to supply and service EMD-powered systems for both land and offshore drilling rigs, generator sets for prime and standby power applications as well as ship service, and for propulsion of supply boats and tug boats.
Mr. Stewart also announced that the firm opened new operations on the Harvey Canal site in southern Louisiana, which would expand its marine and oil industry engine sales and service. The site was formerly occupied by George Engine.
Stewart & Stevenson will acquire certain assets of the operation from the Detroit Diesel Corporation.
The company will be the authorized sales and service representative for Detroit Diesel engines and products of the Allison transmission and Electro-Motive Diesel (EMD) divisions of General Motors.
Primary industries to be served by the new center will be oceangoing vessels, fishing and workboats and both inland and offshore drilling and production operations.
Ralston Cole has been named branch manager at the Harvey facility.
David Whisenhunt will be the eastern region manager responsible for the Harvey location as well as the firm's Houston and Beaumont branch operations.
In other company news, Bob O'Neal was elected president of Stewart & Stevenson Services, Inc., succeeding the late Thomas H.
Langham. Mr. O'Neal was also appointed to the board of directors of Stewart & Stevenson.
Mr. O'Neal, who has been with Stewart & Stevenson for over 23 years, has extensive knowledge of the company and its products. Prior to his appointment as president, he was vice president in charge of the company's Engineered Power Systems Division with responsibility for manufacturing and sales of diesel and turbine-powered products.
For free literature detailing Stewart & Stevenson's marine and oil industry engine sales and services, Circle 19 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from June 1988 issue
- Castrol Offers Free 56-Page Lube Oil Guide & World Service Directory page: 6
- ODECO's Hugh J. Kelly Elected Chairman Of NOIA At 16th Annual Meeting page: 7
- $4.3 Million To Peterson Builders To Administer Navy Parts Acquisition page: 8
- John Kristen Joins Ingram Barge Company page: 10
- Service Marine Christens 600-Passenger Paddlewheeler For Heritage Cruise Lines page: 10
- World's Largest Railway/Freight Ferry Launched By Seebeckwerft page: 11
- NASSCO Announces Production Management Realignment page: 11
- SPD Technologies Negotiating To Acquire Navy Division Of Brown Boveri Power Equipment Inc. page: 11
- Munson Manufacturing Launches Alaskan Excursion Boat For Holland America-Westours page: 12
- MSC Awards Contracts Totaling $154.2 Million page: 14
- 1,000th Golar Marine Incinerator To Be Installed page: 14
- Skuld Undergoes Major Changes In Structure page: 15
- Report 'Genesis System' Can Produce Record Fuel Savings For Vessel Owners page: 16
- Bailey Controls Completes Installation Of N e w Flow Calibration Laboratory page: 16
- Houma Fabricators A w a r d e d Contract For Vehicle-Passenger Ferry page: 17
- Brochure Available On N e w Sound Absorption Material From Soundcoat page: 18
- John M. Stebbins Named VP, Sales And Marketing Of Alco Power Inc. page: 18
- Gladding-Hearn Receives Order For INCAT-Design Passenger Ferry For N e w York Commuter Service page: 20
- SPD Technologies Names Biancamano Manager, International Marketing page: 20
- Intertek Offers Free Eight-Page Full-Color Brochure On Services page: 21
- Blount Christens 'Spirit Of Chicago' —7th Luxury Dinner Vessel In 'Spirit' Line For Cruise International page: 22
- Marathon LeTourneau Introduces New GulfKing Class Jackup For Gulf Of Mexico page: 23
- THE $34-BILLION ANNUAL U.S. NAVY MARKET page: 24
- SHIPBUILDING AND REPAIR IN U.S. SHIPYARDS page: 40
- The Tug And Barge Industry Provides A Wealth Of Benefits To American Consumers page: 44
- BARGE INDUSTRY WAITS FOR CONGRESSIONAL ACTION ON HIGHWAY DIESEL TAX page: 44
- REVIEW AND OUTLOOK page: 62
- World Shipbuilding page: 64
- Cummins-Powered Paddlewheeler Delivered By Superior Boat Works page: 76
- Leslie Controls Announces DLO-1 Series 80 Valves page: 77
- Aeroquip Offers Hydraulic Troubleshooting Bulletin page: 77
- HDW Christens Two Containerships For American President Lines page: 78
- Bender Shipbuilding Delivers Fish Processing Vessel 'Seattle Enterprise' page: 78
- DEFCO Offers Free Literature On Diesel Products And Services page: 79
- Waugh Offers Literature On Head Modules And TNF Joiner Systems page: 79
- Electrocatalytic Acquires DEM Cell Technology page: 80
- McElroy Offers Free 47-Page Brochure On Deck Machinery page: 80
- Indicator Switch From Nupro Connects To Air Actuated Bellows Valves page: 81
- Spare Parts Amendment Passes House page: 81
- Shipyard 'Pride Program' Instituted At PSRY page: 82
- Ward Offers Brochure On Manufacture Of Marine Components page: 82
- Conrad Industries Delivers 650-Ton-Capacity Drydock To French West Indies page: 83
- Sensitive Regulator From Circle Seal Assures Accuracy For Corrosive Or Ultra-Pure Fluids page: 84
- Watercom Offers Extra Convenience Of Fax Machine Message Transmission page: 84
- Simrad Receives Canadian Contract page: 85
- Houston Ship Repair Busy With Work page: 86
- Stewart & Stevenson Expands Diesel Engine Sales/Service Network page: 88
- Sperry Marine Awarded Submarine Navigation Radar Contract page: 89
- Rexroth Introduces N ew Hydraulic Radial Piston Motor page: 89
- Trimble Introduces NavGraphic Loran Track Plotter, And New Digital Version Of 10X Loran page: 90
- Conrad Industries Sees Signs Of Optimism In Offshore Industry page: 90
- SPD Technologies Names Larry Colangelo Senior VP page: 91
- Moss Point Marine Delivers Second Of Four Army Landing Craft page: 92
- Bath Iron Works Launches Guided Missile Cruiser 'Normandy' page: 92
- PetroCom Completes First C e l l u l a r / S a t e l l i te Phone Service in Gulf Of Mexico page: 93
- Joseph Le Blanc Jr. Retires From Trinity Marine Group page: 93
- Derecktor Shipyard Lays Keel For First Of Two Tugboats For U.S. Army page: 94
- Wartsila Diesel Presents Paper At ASTM Symposium page: 94
- Hyde Offers Independent Power Unit Systems To Meet SOLAS Requirements page: 95
- SKF Introduces Keyless Bushing; Will Market Nilos Rings In U.S. page: 95
- McDermott Shipyard Delivers 1,475-Passenger Ferry page: 96
- M o n A r k ' s Workboat Division Delivers 28-Foot Patrol Boat page: 97
- Raytheon Marketing New Electromagnetic Speedlog Series page: 98
- Call For Papers For American Welding Society's 70th Annual Convention page: 99
- COMSAT A n d MCI Sign Interconnection Agreement page: 100
- N e w 138-Page Level And Flow Sensor Catalog O f f e r e d Free By GEMS page: 100
- Gems Offers 24-Page Catalog Featuring Continuous Liquid Level Indicating Systems page: 110
- Crew And Supply Boat Conversion Can Be A Profitable Venture page: 113
- Tom Bunyan, Inventor Of 'Pilgrim' Products Marketed By Mapeco, Honored By Queen Elizabeth page: 114
- Comsat Announces SafetyNet Service For Ships At Sea page: 115
- N e w Class DBOY-2 Valve Line N o w Available From Leslie Controls, Ltd. page: 115