Alpha Diesel Introduces Four-Stroke Medium-Speed Diesel Engine Series
Color Brochure Offered MAN B&W's objective at their Alpha Diesel Frederikshavn establishment is to meet the day-to-day requirements and improvements for efficient and reliable ship propulsion systems in all types of vessels.
There are few manufacturers with more experience than Alpha Diesel in the design, manufacture and service of complete propulsion systems.
From the start of the century Alpha Diesel has manufactured complete propulsion systems consisting of engine, gearbox, propeller equipment and remote controls.
At MAN B&W Diesel's Research and Development Centers in Denmark and West Germany a staff of experts use all the very latest technology to ensure customers an Alpha propulsion system is the most attractive investment for the future.
One of the latest engines introduced by MAN B&W Diesel A/S, Alpha Diesel is the 28/32A engine, a development of the well-known 28-series of four-stroke medium-speed diesel engines.
220 kw (300 hp) at 750 engine rev/ min. Under non-tropical conditions the 6-, 9- and 12-cylinder versions can be delivered with cylinder outputs of 245 kw (333 hp).
The reliability achieved with the 28/32A engine is the result of careful analysis of information obtained from earlier 28-series engines over many years in service. This experience was collated from approximately 1,000 engines and corresponding to approximately 2.1 million hp.
The sturdy engine block is of nodular cast-iron. The engine has easy access for maintenance and all major moving parts are protected by noise absorbing covers and enclosures.
The cylinder covers have welldimensioned inlet and exhaust ports for efficient air changes. Direct cooled valve seat rings enable long intervals between valve overhaul and trouble-free operating when burning heavy fuels with viscosities up to 700 cSt.
To provide an engine which is as far as possible self contained (requiring the minimum of additional services), engine-driven pumps are arranged at the forward end of the engine to cater for engine cooling water, lube and fuel oil services.
The engine is also provided with a simple and reliable air start motor obviating the necessity for complicated air start valves, distributor and extensive associated pipe work which such a system requires.
Characteristic advantages include high reliability; low fuel oil consumption; low spare part consumption; long intervals between overhaul; simple to overhaul; and no limitations for part load operation.
Alpha Diesel is offering a free 18- page color brochure detailing the 28/32A diesel engine series, as well as its reduction gearboxes, CP propellers and electronic remote control systems. For a copy, Circle 16 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from June 1989 issue
- Campbell Launches Super Pacific Class Tuna Purse Seiner page: 5
- NMEA Schedules 1989 Annual Meeting page: 5
- Allied-Signal Offers Free Literature On Spectra High-Performance Ropes page: 6
- ASTICAN Offers 18-Page Color Brochure On Facilities And Capabilities page: 6
- Navy Commissions Guided Missile Cruiser page: 8
- Navy Christens ACS At Tampa Shipyards page: 9
- Trinity Marine Group Delivers Detroit Diesel-Powered Ferry To Texas Transportation Department page: 12
- Great Lakes Energy Named Supplier Of DDC 6 - 1 1 0 Engine Parts page: 13
- Avondale Christens USS Rushmore, Fourth In Series Of LSDs For USN page: 14
- Wartsila—Turku Shipyard Delivers New Baltic Cruiser 'Athena' page: 14
- 1989 International Maritime Exposition To Expand Its Exhibitor Emphasis page: 15
- Second Tanker With One-Man Bridge Delivered By B & W page: 15
- Marine Gears Introduces 'TR' Series Marine Clutches page: 16
- Marine & Offshore Offers Free Color Brochure On ABB Variable AC Drives page: 18
- SPD Awarded Contract For Integrated Electric Drive System page: 19
- Phillips Cartner Elects Principals And Adds New Staff Members page: 20
- American Marine Completes Refurbishment Of Bulk Cement Carrier page: 20
- MMFG Announces Major Changes For Duradek Fiberglass Grating page: 22
- THE OUTLOOK FOR U.S. NAVY SHIPBUILDING AND SHIP REPAIR page: 24
- REVIEW OF SHIPBUILDING AND REPAIR AT U.S. YARDS page: 28
- A WO In 1989: Tested By Drought And Ready To Face New Challenges page: 42
- REVIEW AND OUTLOOK page: 44
- WORLD SHIPBUILDING page: 46
- ABS PLAYS VITAL ROLE IN OUTSTANDING SAFETY RECORD OF THE GROWING PASSENGER SUB INDUSTRY page: 50
- Fetterolf's Specialty Assembly Valve Eliminates Field-Welding page: 70
- Integrated Bridge Control System Offered By Valmet —Literatured Available page: 70
- AWSC Elects New Officers At Tampa, Fla., Meeting page: 87
- Mackay Communications Wins U.S. N a v y AGOR-23 Electronics Package page: 88
- FMC Issues N e w Brochure On Dynetor Connectors page: 88
- Watercom Installs Payphones On Steamboat page: 89
- Morgan Crane Moves To New Facility In Santa Ana, Calif. page: 91
- SeaTrac Offers Free Color Brochures On Roll-Damping Systems page: 91
- Alpha Diesel Introduces Four-Stroke Medium-Speed Diesel Engine Series page: 92
- Drew Ameroid Helps Shipowners Control High Costs Of Low-Cost Fuels page: 93
- USS Cowpens Launched At BIW for U.S. Navy page: 94
- USNS 'Dutton' Emergency Drydocking At Dakar Marine page: 95
- DOT Regulations Prohibit Dumping Plastics At Sea page: 96
- Seacoast Announces 'J.I.T.' Inventory Management And Distribution System page: 97
- Furuno Offers New Radar For Workboats, Smaller Vessels page: 98
- New Lifesaving Equipment Rules Proposed For Large Commercial Ships page: 98
- Fast Wave-Piercing Catamaran Ferry Ordered For Cross-Channel Route page: 99
- PRMMI Appoints Hayes Port Manager In Baltimore page: 101
- Elliott White Gill Thrusters Offer Excellent Maneuverability With Complete Control page: 101
- North American Shipyard Delivers Research Vessel 'Edwin Link' To Harbor Branch Oceanographic page: 101
- S/S Rotterdam To Undergo $10-Million Refurbishment At Northwest Marine page: 102
- U.K.'s Kelvin Hughes To Get Queen's Award For Export Achievement page: 102
- L&C Designs And Installs Dehumidification And Monitoring System For General Cargo Ship page: 107
- VL Logistics Opens New Corporate Headquarters page: 108
- SeaArk Marine Appoints Two New Managers page: 109
- FBM Marine Introduces New Generation Of Fast Catamarans, Ferry Craft And Crewboats page: 112
- Moss Point Delivers Two Cummins-Powered Towboats To Hashemite Kingdom Of Jordan page: 112
- Wartsila Diesel Repowering SeaEscape's Cruise Vessel M / V Scandinavian Sun page: 113
- NMHS Offers Literature On Emergency Medical/ Trauma Consultation page: 113