Halter Marine Delivers Second Of Four Supply Boats To Point Express, Ltd.
Halter Marine, Inc. of New Orleans, La., recently delivered the Point Chaleur, the second of four 191-foot tug/supply boats to Point Express, Ltd., of Morgan City, La.
The Point Chaleur is 191 feet long with a 40-foot beam and a 14-foot depth. She is powered by two EMD 16-645C diesel engines developing 1,950 hp each at 900 rpm. They drive two, 90-inchdiameter f o u r - b l a d e propellers through Lufkin RHS 2120 reverse/ reduction gears with a ratio of 3.0:1.
The vessel's six Smatco tanks each carry 1,000 cubic feet of bulk mud and four additional tanks carry 1,344 barrels of liquid mud.
Dry mud is moved through the system by a Gardner Denver WCG air compressor and liquid muds are pumped by Mission Magnum pumps.
Some of the Point Chaleur's other capacities are: 61,000 gallons fuel oil; 1,824 gallons lube oil; 165,400 gallons ballast water; and 16,888 gallons of fresh water. Her aft deck has nearly 4,000 square feet of cargo space.
There are two Westinghouse equipped control stations aboard and a 56-point engine alarm system provided by EMI. The hydraulic steering system was manufactured by SSI and maneuverability is enhanced by a Bird- Johnson model 20 bow thruster driven by a Detroit Diesel 8V71 diesel engine through Capitol reverse/eduction gears.
The main switchboard and distribution panels were built by Continental Electric.
Auxiliary power is supplied by two Detroit Diesel 8V71-N diesel engines generating 125 kw. Two Quincy model D325 air compressors provide compressed air for diesel engine starting, the pneumatic control system, air whistle, sea chest, and ship service.
Aurora pumps service bilge, ballast, fuel transfer, and the onship fire-fighting system while Viking pumps handle oily bilge and fuel oil standby. The fuel oil separator was manufactured by Westfalia. The sanitary water system contains a Deming pressure set with a vertical 82-gallon tank. Water closets drain into a Micropher MC-200 sewage-treatment system.
Satellite navigation is provided by a Magnavox MX4102 direction finder with interface to a Sperry gyrocompass. The VHF radio is a Sailor RT-144 and the SSB radio is a Stevens SEA 106-1. Two Raytheon model 6425- 6UP radars are installed. The starboard radar has a Raytheon IBCAS anti-collision unit. The vessel is also equipped with a Raytheon depth sounder, Henchel rudder angle indicators, and a Henschel intercom.
Some of the deck equipment includes a Smatco 66 DAW 200 towing winch, a 5-foot by 8-foot Smatco stern roller, and an HBL electrohydraulic anchor windlass.
Living and working space is heated by Lennox electric strip heaters and cooled by 15 tons of Dunn and Bush water cooled airconditioning.
Seven staterooms provide berths for 20 persons.
The Point Chaleur is American Bureau of Shipping classed Al, Maltese Cross, full ocean towing, AMS, ice class "C", and carries a Panama Canal admeasurement certificate.
She was built at Halter's Lockport, La., division which will soon complete her sister ships, the Point Liberty and Point Normandy.
The first in the series, the Point Bravo was delivered recently. (See MARITIME REPORTER, February 15, 1983 issue) .
Read Halter Marine Delivers Second Of Four Supply Boats To Point Express, Ltd. in Pdf, Flash or Html5 edition of March 1983 Maritime Reporter
Other stories from March 1983 issue
- A S E A A w a r d e d $ 3 . 5 - M i l l i on O r d e r For S h a f t G e n e r a t o rs — L i t e r a t u r e A v a i l a b le page: 5
- Rivera, Willis Join Staff Of Designers & Planners page: 6
- R a y t h e o n Service A w a r d ed $ 1 - M i l l i o n Contract For T A K X Equipment page: 6
- Top M a n a g e m e n t C h a n g es A n n o u n c e d By D o v e r - N o r r is page: 6
- Newport News Lifts 890-Metric-Ton Assembly Onto Carrier Roosevelt -Largest Ever For Naval Vessel page: 8
- Todd Houston Accepts Delivery Of New Drydock From Bender page: 8
- ITC O f f e r s Brochure D e s c r i b i n g Its N ew H e a v y - L i f t Vessel page: 8
- J.C. Leighton Elected Executive V P Of Raymond Kaiser Engineers page: 9
- Krupp MaK Diesel Moves To New Headquarters For North American Operations page: 10
- Free L i t e r a t u r e O f f e r e d On N e w O i l y W a t e r S e p a r a t or By H a m w o r t h y E n g i n e e r i ng page: 10
- N e w Firm W i l l A d v i se M a n u f a c t u r e r s O n H ow To Sell To N a vy page: 10
- S w i f t s h i p s To B u i l d T wo F i r e / R e s c u e Boats For P l a q u e m i n e s Parish page: 11
- N e w S h i p b u i l d e r s Council P r e s i d e n t Selected page: 11
- Tacoma Boat Delivers Fourth Tractor Tug To Foss page: 12
- Southwest Marine Purchases Computerized Drydock And Major Shipyard page: 12
- 1983 RTCM ASSEMBLY page: 12
- New Puget Sound Section Of MTS Elects Officers page: 13
- Halter Marine Delivers Second Of Four Supply Boats To Point Express, Ltd. page: 14
- $121-Million Contract Awarded To Davie For Gulfspan-Class Ferry page: 16
- C e n t r i c o O f f e r s Free 1 2 4 - P a g e G u i d e b o ok On W e s t f a l i a Oil S e p a r a t o rs page: 16
- Moore McCormack Completes Sale Of Cargo Liners page: 17
- New Brochure Contains Raytheon Radar Comparison And Offer Of Free Life Vests page: 17
- Bender To Offer New Ice-Class Anchor Handling Tug/Supply Vessel page: 18
- Maritime Technology For A Changing World page: 18
- Brochure Offered On New Electrolytic Anti-Fouling System For Problem Areas page: 19
- CRC Celebrates Its 50th Anniversary —Brochures Available page: 19
- Todd Reports Increase In Sales And Earnings page: 22
- Newport News Reports Fourth Year Of Higher Operating Income page: 23
- Iowa Marine Delivers M/V Blanche V To Gibbons Marine page: 24
- EMD Introduces New Fuel-Efficient Diesel —Brochure Available page: 24
- LeCompte Named General Manager Of Bethlehem's Great Lakes Division page: 25
- Wesley Wheeler Appointed U.S. Representatives For Hapag-Lloyd Shipyard page: 26
- $1.1 -Million Contract For VHF-FM Systems Awarded Rockwell-Collins Itaiiana page: 26
- Petronas Commissions Its First Proet-Built Jackup page: 26
- Honeywell Forms New Undersea Sensor Group page: 27
- Castelvecchi Named Corporate Purchasing Agent At Ships Supply page: 27
- Thomas M a r i n e Delivers 24-Foot Survey Boat To N . Y . - N J . Port Authority page: 27
- Charles Lynch Elected AIMS Board Chairman page: 28
- Heerema Group Acquires Big Inch Marine Systems page: 28
- D o r a n - A l a b a m a O f f e r s Free Brochure O n Propellers A n d Repair Services page: 28
- S a l w i c o O f f e r s L i t e r a t u re O n S a l - G l a s Protective P r i m e r l e s s M a r i n e C o a t i n gs page: 29
- Minority-Owned Shipyard Organized In Portland page: 30
- Alio International Rubber Appoints Robert Salter As Sales Manager page: 30
- New Raytheon RAYPATH ARPA Meets IMO Requirements —Brochure Available page: 31
- William Law Elected To Board Of Twin City Barge page: 32
- American Lohmann Offers Free Literature On Marine Gearboxes page: 32
- CAB Develops Portable Steel Grit Recovery System —Free Literature Offered page: 32
- Bell Halter Begins Production Of First LCAC For Amphibious Forces page: 32
- M.A.N. To Build Three Floating Cranes With Voith-Schneider Propulsion page: 33
- D r a v o M e c h l i n g A n n o u n c es M a n a g e m e n t C h a n g e s In S o u t h e r n O p e r a t i o ns page: 33
- A m e r i c a n W a t e r w a ys S h i p y a r d C o n f e r e n ce O f f i c e r s Elected page: 33
- Daewoo Christens Two Jackup Rigs For Dual Drilling Co. page: 34
- H o u s t o n S y s t e m s C o m p l e t es C u s t o m W o r k O n 4 N e w Rigs page: 34
- G l a d d i n g Hearn Delivers Largest Self-Propelled U.S. Skimmer To Clean Sound page: 36
- C e n t r i c o F o r m s M i n e r al O i l G r o u p , L o h m e y er N a m e d H e a d O f U n it page: 37
- Lykes Appoints Three In Central Atlantic Division page: 38
- Lavalin Ocean Systems Formed In Canada To Provide Underwater Service page: 38
- LEEVAC Shipyards Will Produce World Class ME 500 Tug Supply Vessel page: 38
- C r o s b y G r o u p A n n o u n c es P r o m o t i o n s O f Sales A nd O p e r a t i o n s Executives page: 38
- W a u k e s h a Bearings N a m ed M a s t e r U.S. D i s t r i b u t or O f T h o r d o n C o m p o u n ds page: 38
- Brown & Root Elects Three Vice Presidents In Marine Operations page: 39
- n t e r o c e a n S t e a m s h i p Buys Lykes S t e a m s h i p For $ 1 5 0 - M i l l i o n page: 39
- Alaskan Office Opened By Global Marine Divisions page: 40
- Halter To Build Deepwater, ME 202s And ME 303s In The United States page: 40
- Robin Hood Fleeting Names Hines Vice President page: 41
- Russellstoll To Market Northern Rig Lites Products —Literature Available page: 41
- S N A M E To P l a y M a j o r Role I n C o n v e r t i n g M i l s p e cs T o C o m m e r c i a l S t a n d a r ds page: 41
- S P C / I R E A P S Seeks Papers For D e l i v e r y At Tenth Technical S y m p o s i um page: 42
- V e n e z u e l a n Y a r d A w a r ds $ 1 . 2 - M i l l i o n Production Line C o n t r a c t To TTS page: 42
- 2 . 2 - M i l l i o n N a v y C o n t r a ct For T e c h n i c a l S e r v i c es A w a r d e d T o T r a c or page: 43
- M a r A d R e l e a s e s R e p o rt O n N o v e l " O u t s i d e H u l l" P r o p u l s i o n S y s t em page: 43
- SECOND ANNUAL NATIONAL MARITIME SHOW page: 46
- Halter Delivers Catug To C a l i f o r n i a And H a w a i i Sugar Co. page: 48
- G l o b a l M a r i n e Forms N e w Business U n it page: 49
- Fisher M a r i t i m e To H o ld E i g h t W o r k s h o p s On L i a b i l i t y A v o i d a n ce page: 49
- Tideland Signal Names Two New Vice Presidents page: 52
- First Of Five 20,000-Dwt Cargo Vessels Delivered By Valmet To V /O Sudoimport page: 52
- Battleship Iowa Enters Ingalis Yard For Completion Of Reactivation And Modernization Contract page: 53
- C a r r i e r F o r r e s t a l ( C V 5 9 ) B e g i ns SLEP A t P h i l a d e l p h i a N a v y Y a rd page: 53
- Honeywell Names Holman Vice President & General Manager, Marine Division page: 54
- Savings Up To 30 Percent Detailed In Brochure On Avicon's New Fuel Monitor page: 56
- JRC Opens Offices In Australia, Singapore page: 56
- ASNE-Puget Sound Discusses The Soviet Navy page: 59
- Free 32-Page Report Details Test Results On New Fuel Efficient EMD Diesel page: 59
- Blount Establishes Subsidiary To Build Super-Fast Commuter Boats page: 60
- New Marine Impellers Described In Free Brochure page: 61
- Getty Plans Expansion Of California Marine Terminal Costing $60 To $100 Million page: 61
- Todd Delivers Frigate Ahead Of Schedule page: 62
- Seaward To Supply Buoys For Middle East Jackups —Literature Available page: 62
- Free Brochure Describes 48 Models Of Allied Hydraulic Marine Cranes page: 62
- Diaz Elected President Of Greater New Orleans Barge Fleeting Association page: 63
- Navy Awards Tracor $4.6-Million Contract For Submarine Program page: 63
- Navy Awards Lockheed Contract To Construct Third Dock Landing Ship page: 64
- Talon Technology To Provide Satellite Communications Systems page: 65
- MES Awarded Contract To Build Semisubmersible For Sonat Offshore Drilling page: 65
- Scientific Management Associates Announces Acquisition By New Owners page: 66
- Selesmar Of Italy Increases Capital Through Agreement With INI page: 67
- Farrell Reports $35-Million Turnaround — Sells Four Ships To U.S. Lines page: 67
- New Sofec CALM-Plus Terminal For West Malaysia —Literature Available page: 70
- Coastal Iron Works Installs 2,500-Ton-Capacity Steel Floating Drydock 'Mr. Pat' page: 82
- Microphor Europe GmbH Formed In Europe By Microphor And German Firm page: 83